Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Got a little more info last night...

The CNC and the compressor will be the only 3ph equipment running. The distributor that's handling his CNC purchase through Haas recommended the converters and originally spec'd a 60hp converter. Someone did some math somewhere, and figured that a 60hp converter couldn't be started with 200a 240v. So, dual 30's were swapped in their place. Because he's doing this as a rush sorta deal, 30's were sidestepped for 40's because of their immediate availability rather than waiting on their order/manufacture/shipping.

The units he is getting are from Phase Perfect. I didn't ask much about the compressor more than to know it's a 7hp unit. I figure it'll be big and noisy and from the initial pictures he's sent me of the shop will be prone to creating as many headaches as it does CFM.

So far the shop build has gone well, save a surprise rainstorm that damaged $3500 worth of glitter. The building is being extended and the roofers had the existing side of the shop opened up Wednesday. It has gone from a bare patch of dirt to being wired in less than a week. Doors and electricity should be done by tonight and machines are scheduled to start showing up on Monday.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-15-2010, 03:50 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Quote:
The units he is getting are from Phase Perfect.
OMG, Phase Perfect is the Holy Grail of phase conversion

Their 40hp model is the PT-3110, and it isn't cheap at $8700 each, but your NC machines will love it. Better phase-to-phase balance than most utility companies, and a power factor that will make anyone running a RPC green with envy.

For anyone who spends big dollars on an NC machine, the Phase Perfect will make them happy.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

I think buying in bulk and all at once is helping him out quite a bit. His quote on each wasn't quite that much. Good to hear a good review on them right off the bat though, makes me feel a little more comfortable about stepping up to the challenge. It's one thing to offer to help out in a shop, quite another to be asked to run one with inferior, questionable equipment.

I havn't heard yet how the electricians are coming along with wiring the building, nor if the doors have been installed yet. Both were scheduled to be done today.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-15-2010, 05:39 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Some shops install a RPC for the less picky equipment (air compressor, manual mill, manual lathe, etc.) They run the sensitive machinery on the PP digital converter. Both can have a place in a shop, but the PP is hands down the ultimate solution for 3ph power when only 1ph is available from the utility.

I've heard that American Rotary has the best prices on PP converters, click here.