Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 AM

Default Campbell-Hausfield Air Hose reel

Hi guys, I've been wanting an air hose reel and I saw a Campbell-Hausfield in Wal-Mart for $55.00. Are they good ones to get? The price seemed right. Thanks in advance, Rod
Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Dodge City Marshal

Welcome rajxxxx. "Good" is good and it might be good enough for your needs. I wouldn't buy it for a high airflow-constant usage application.

Be$t i$ much more gooder.

Feel free to tell us what you're doing. Post often.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 10-10-2010, 09:41 AM
I can dig it

If it's the same one I got a few years ago, it's okay....typical imported type quality, no signs of leaks at the swivel yet. I had to replace the hose after it let go last year, put a good rubber one on it instead.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 PM

My thoughts are you get what you pay for, I have a RETRACTOR Automatic hose reel, And my friend has a cheap version of the same and the quality differance really shows up after a year or so of use.
I would go the extra few $$$ and get the best you can afford.
Matt
Old 10-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I've been wanting an air hose reel and I saw a Campbell-Hausfield in Wal-Mart for $55.00. Are they good ones to get?
Not remembering exactly where I found mine, I know I paid around a $100 bucks for it and it came without a hose and it's a cranked type, not auto takeup.

Personally, after having to roll up hoses by hand for way too many years, this thing is a much most often taken for granted tool in the shop. Meaning, it works, it's handy and it saves much time when I'm picking up, cleaning from one little job to the next.

For a home/hobby/tiny farm shop like mine, there was no need to even consider spending more than what I did for mine. As I was using old car rims cut in half hanging on the wall originally, just how "hi-tec" did I need to go?

If you buy the cheapy hand turned reel and the swivel goes bad, they can be found reasonably to replace.

Hose on the other hand ages and as it's used, grease and grime will further degrade shortening it's life.

Buy it. The cheapest option is a nail on the wall, or a pile on the floor.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Elite Member

I've had an automatic hose reel for several years that I made myself. It's got 50' of hose on it now, but can hold more. A 3/8" corded drill works to turn the spool to reel in the hose. I designed the spool mount so I can lower and remove the spool to carry to on-site jobs, if needed. Fiberboard ends of the spool are attached to a 5 gallon plastic bucket, and turns on a hub made from a piece of aluminum windsurfing mast. Inner end of hose pokes through bucket and mast section, and is quick-coupled to a fixed hose, coming from compressor. When pulling the hose out, the drill acts as a free-wheeling clutch. Total cost: one drill and hose. I'll post photos, if anyone is interested. It's 3 AM, so off to bed.

Last edited by Gadgeteer; 10-14-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Elite Member

Well, I had to unreel over half of the hose this morning to air a low tire on the driveway, so I shot a pic of the reel. I, also, discovered that I have 100' of hose on the reel with room another 100'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose Reel.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	66866  
Old 10-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Armchair Webbie

Hey, that's pretty neat! Thanks for sharing Gadgeteer.

Dave
Old 10-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Lord of the Minions

Gadge', I see you've started to double duty your winter time toys for the shop. It would be expensive for me to use them for shelves like you do as we never get enough snow to use them for anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose%20Reel.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	66876  

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Lord of the Minions

Something to keep in mind when using hose reels of say 50' and longer in hose lengths, pressure drop.

While it's nice to just grab the end of the 75' on mine, once it's pulled out to the work and I'm needing to use the air hammers or air wrenches etc, I do have a 20 gallon air receiver that I wheel out and place between the last 25' of hose for upping things a bit. Otherwise, my CP's kinda growl instead of roar.