Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-27-2004, 05:05 AM

Thumbs up HF 12 step program

Hello, My name is Ken and I'm a HF Junkie.
We had a little family excursion today to the big city of Des Moines. The Harbor Freight store was the only stop on the list. I tried, I really did.
Went in with my sponser<wife> and the kids for extra ballast. hehehe
All I wanted was the auto drain for the air compressor, and lo and behold this 110 lb steel anvil just happened to follow me home! After that it was all downhill from there. I'll just sit here and upack the goodies and head out to the depths of the Money pit<shop> to put them all to good use. Hmm now to build a nice sandbox for that anvil........
Take care!
Ken.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:58 AM
Harbor Freight Backslider

Harbor Freight is infectious. I think they put subliminal messages over the intercom in the store. I have to say my twelve step program is a abject failure.
That "Russian anvil is a good buy for a beginning "Blacksmith" like me.
The "Anvilfire" site did a write up on it, (somehow I lost the link).
They recommended modifing the "Duckbill" shaped horn. I did this with mine. I used 7", 4 1/2" grinders, and a couple of air disc sanders. I haven't used it much yet, I'm still procrastinating on building a forge. I'll probably wait until cooler weather in the fall. I did forge a punch, using a "rosebud torch for heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anvil stand.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	287  

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?
Old 06-27-2004, 07:32 AM
Urban Gunfighter

I too fell victim yesterday. walked out of the East Peoria, IL store with 2 pair of leather gloves, 2 pair of steel vehicle dollies (1/2 off sale!! woo-hoo!!) and a $34 3/4" drive socket set. Damn, that all snuck up on me...

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 06-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Curmudgeon

I'm not sensing much remorse here.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 06-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

I stopped by the one in Mobile AL. on fri got a phone call so i had to go otherwise i mite have spent more than the 23.00 i spent
Old 06-27-2004, 10:41 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

When I walk into HF they check my wallet at the door I have to have at least one picture of ben in it and I have to leave it with them when I leave . Only bad part too this is I walk in there at least once a week . Went in there this week after a punch and chisel set 12 bucks walked out with 4 or 5 bags of stuff anybody need any 3 inch casters . HF is a baaaaaaaaaaad place they have our attension from the minute we walk in the door and they know it LOL

Rick
Old 06-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Banned

Jim, quit fartin around and copy my Brick Pile Forge & Stupid Burner.
That sucker beats hell out of those natural aspiration burners, and if you set it up oputside the shop door there ain't any heat problem.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Harbor Freight Backslider

Franz:
I couldn't find anything to click on, on your "Stupid burner post"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
Dang you Amalgum, just because of you I gotta start some serious eyeballin at Curbside Supply for somebody scrappin a grill so I can have a spark ignitor on the brickpile. Dern kid is always comin up with new ideas and improvements, so it's a good thing I never paint anything.

This page will get you to basic burner designs I was playin around with, after a couple nights of fartin around with the naturally aspirated burners, and not being happy with the BTU output, I went to the power design. Click on STUPID BURNER at the bottom of the page, and you see where I began. Now that guy has way too much fascinbation with pipe fittings for my taste, so I scrounged my available material pile, and MIGged and brazed some stuff together, till I had what looked like a burner, using a .045 MIG tip for the gas orphice. Instead of using a varispeed control on the fan, I elected to employ a basic damper on the inlet side of the blower acting as a choke.
I still have some refinement to do on this design, like adding a needle type valve on the gas supply, so I ain't using the regulator alone for gas control, and to make for easier lighting.
I light off by first starting the fan with full choke, then sending lo pressure gas thru the orphice and lighting with a candle. Now, thanks to Amalgum I gotta go with spark ignition.
Once the flame is established, I increase gas and air porportionally, usually blowing the flame out a few times, till I get the volume of fire I want.
About the only thing that is real important in the design is coaxially locating the gas orphice as close to dead center as youcan to maximize the vorteces in the blast tube for mixing.
It's pretty much basic fire building.

Now, if your branch of Curbside Supply is offering a gas stove or furnace somebody is scrapping, those burner venturis might save a lot of time and effort building a naturally asperated burner, but my branch is out of stock right now.

I had one of my Smith buddys check out the design last night, and he assures me I'm on the right track, and just need to add more gas and air to the process to reach welding heats. Of course, being a True Path Smith, he would only read this board, and not post a reply here. If we get a few more anvil posts going though, we'll attract more Smiths reading this site. I know we were a source of some amusement back when we were on Toiletbowl.com.
See PawPaw, I said nice things about you, and I'd say nice things about Rutterbush too if he'd show up.
How breaking out you "Aaroncad 3.0" crayons, and give me a drawing, and I'll build one.

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?

Last edited by Shade Tree Welder; 06-27-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:26 PM
Elite Member

yeah a drawing would be great franz !!!

dawg
Old 06-28-2004, 01:57 AM
Banned

OK ya dern beggers, I hadda use AaronCad 4.0 cause the 3'0 crayons ran dry.
4.0 has more dang bugs than Cutter's photoprogram, but I put in the effort, and here's yer dang drawing.
I don't know what's wrong with all you kids, back in the day we never had drawings, hell best we ever got was some scratchin in the dirt with a rod stub and bitched at for not havin it built yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-017s.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	294