Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Auction Addict

Default Gas/oil mixture

I just picked up a Homelite chainsaw at an auction. I am in process of cleaning it up and replacing fuel lines. The saw has instructions for gas/oil mixture of 1/2 pint of oil per gallon of gas, which equates to a 16:1 ratio. It was made in 1967. I have heard from a couple of people that older 2 cycle engines can be run on the current 50:1 ratios due to the improvements in todays 2 cycle oils. Do any of you know if there is any truth to this? I am reluctant to use the 50:1 ratio without some additional conformation.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Curmudgeon

Milo, here are a couple of old threads that might be relevant:

One

and

Two

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Auction Addict

Thanks Cutter, but from what I read in the links you provided it still leaves me leary of using the 50:1 ratio newer 2 strokes use. Most posts said you can use the newer oils with higher ratios but there were many different opinions on which ratios to use. I would hate to burn up the saw by using too little oil but I also don't want to carbon it up by using too much oil.

Maybe the only answer is to try a 16:1, 24:1, 32:1, 40:1 then a 50:1 and check the plug after an hour on each mixture to see what kind of deposits I get? Sure wish I could skip all the testing and find out what the oil industry experts say about this. I looked over some info on the net but I didn't find much to answer my question.

Think I will wait and see if anyone else chimes in and has a more concrete answer for me.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

More information and a photo of the saw would help.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
More information and a photo of the saw would help.
Here are some pics of the saw. It is a Homelite XL 101 made in 1967. It is one of 11 saws I got at an auction for $1. Most saws are complete and a couple are misssing parts. Looks like it will be a loooooong rebuilding project getting many of them running. One of the saws is a Lombard, a brand I've not heard of before.

Hope someone can answer the question regarding whether you can use the newer 50:1 fuel ratio instead of the old 16:1 ratio based on industry testing/analysis from an oil manufacturer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0298.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	61750   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0301.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	61751  

Woodrow Wilson
Old 06-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Auction Addict

I just got this from Valvoline. I guess this answers my question, at least from their point of view.

"Thank you for your question. Valvoline recommends staying with the 16:1 ratio for your chain saw. 2 Cycle Oils have not changed much over the years."

Woodrow Wilson
Old 06-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I just got this from Valvoline. I guess this answers my question, at least from their point of view.

"Thank you for your question. Valvoline recommends staying with the 16:1 ratio for your chain saw. 2 Cycle Oils have not changed much over the years."
They don't mince words do they? Mabey its a different alloy they are makeing the newer stuff out of. I know the old stuff like that can be run with HD30 oil. It doesn'e have to be two cycle oil.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Gadget Girl

I've owned all sorts of 2 stroke goodies. from 60 SAAB 3cyl 2 stroke cars, ( still own 4 of them)motorcycles, chainsaws and lawnmowers.

I've tried different oils. Valvoline, Napa brand, Amsoil, etc.

If you are using a conventional oil then go with the recommended mix ratio. If you go with modern synthetics then you can modify it some.

Even with the modern synthetics I usually mix a little heavy.
As you mentioned just check the spark plug and top of piston for heavy deposits and thin out as need be.

In the SAABs I usuallly run a mixture that while normally driving there isn't any noticable smoke till I load it up in a high gear going up a hill and then down shift to clean it out. Then I like to see some smoke. This verify's that it is actually getting oil.

I currently run Amsoil in all my machines and find it to be a good oil.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Voice of Experience

Milo since it has only two cycles it won't run on any mix...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Gold Star Dad

There's some history on Lombard here. The guy has a collection of 274 old chainsaws that run. You might email and ask him about the oil mix.

http://vintagechainsawcollection.blogspot.com/