Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

I went and spent another $20 on surface pre- and post- prep discs this weekend. The welds are strong, and when ground down flush you can't even see a seam. I did a little destructive testing and the metal broke before the weld, so I know it's working. It just looks like the wrong end of an ugly dog.

Your experience with that little machine last year may well be a clue to this, as that is what my stuff is moving more and more towards. There was a good chunk of time that I didn't use my welder and the wire sat up. Maybe it does just get old...

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Same thing. It was so bad I thought I must have the polarity reversed. It was embarrasing.
Hell, it was so bad I ground it down and painted the joints!
This is the most serious thing ever I've heard. Resorting to paint to cover your sins is almost...Chinese:evil::evil:

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 03-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Elite Member

dubby,

Photo mentioned about welding outside. If you are not welding outside is there some sort of fan or exhaust system running now that has not been on or running in the past when all was good??
Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

Not that I'm really aware of. I do get a pretty good cross breeze on occasion through the doors, which is the only way to survive the summers here, but I'm pretty mindful of them when I pull the trigger.

Really, it seemed to do better outside when I was welding on the boat trailer hitch than it has inside.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Tender Member

Close all doors and stop all air movement. That will eliminate some factors in this, and that might even be the problem.
I am 98% certain you have a gas flow problem. The other thing could be some bad wire. Did you change wire and start having this problem.
Also check to see it you have a small hole in you hose that goes from the regulator to the back of the machine. If you do, then it will suck in air into the line and youll have problems.

Hypertherm 600
HH125 EZ
MM 350P
TB 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to Destructo_d Send a message via Yahoo to Destructo_d

I was talking to a salesman from the welding supply shop that supplies where I work.. I had the same issue off and on.... He said is sounded like the metal (chain links for snow chains, new product) may have been contaminated with some kind of oil... such as from heat treating