Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 12-09-2008, 03:04 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Default 1961 Ford Falcon Ranchero restoration

So as soon as I got back to Las Vegas, I convince my buddy to give me the project car that he was slowly restoring to sell. Now, he's going to help me restore it and I plan for it to be my daily driver. I'll keep this thread alive for pics and comments along the way.

The engine, tranny, and all running gear, including axles and wheels are from a 1968 Ford Mustang and have already been completely rebuilt and installed.

It has a 289 V-8 which was offered in later years. It has a 4-speed top-loading tranny with Hurst shifter on the floor. Ford 9" rearend (which I just noticed as a small leak at the driveshaft seal, dangit).

I've got a catalog for Mac's Automotive, which specializes in restoration parts for these cars. Know any other sources?

He's already shaved the tailgate latch and gas filler door, both of which are now on the inside of the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_067.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	38656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_074.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	38657  

Last edited by MAC702; 12-09-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
Old 12-09-2008, 03:09 PM

I just took off the doors and seats and have started removing all the carpet. I'll put seats back in and get it registered next week so I can make it a rolling rebuild after getting the lights, bumpers, and windshield wipers temporarily reinstalled.

So far we're planning on a red car with black flames in a cracked paint, showing the red underneath.

I start it everyday and let it run. It fires up on first stroke and has an aggressive cam and dual exhaust that really let it rumble.

Someone put seat belts in, but I'm taking them out. This is gonna be old-school, except for the Knaack box in the Rhino-lined bed.

Last edited by MAC702; 12-09-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
Old 12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Curmudgeon

Cool deal, Mac. This should be fun.
Closest I ever came to a truck like that was a '66 (I think) full size Ranchero.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 12-09-2008, 03:12 PM

The glove box lid is chromed, of course: miniskirt friendly!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 PM

It's already got most of the body work done, and my buddy will be finishing that for me. That, the paint, and the upholstery are his fields. It's got a super tough primer that's been protecting it all this time. The mud we took off the underside managed to protect most of that. It's a So-Cal car. The driver's side has a caulked-in pan and the passenger's pan is rusted through in a few places. I'll probably weld in two new pans.

You can see where I got some overspray from penetrating oil on the rear quarter panel. I'm a dumbass. He tells me I have to sand that whole area back to bare and reprime now. Makes sense.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Southers

That is sweet. Remember to keep batteries in your camera!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Lord of the Minions

Man, talk about few and far between. Sometimes you just gotta wait for the good ones to re-hit the road.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM
better w/bacon

Should make a cool driver w/a 289 but for the ultimate sleeper, think 512 crate, but that's just me.
Good luck and have fun most of all
Old 12-09-2008, 04:06 PM

I will be anxiously waiting for progress reports on this build. Keep us up to date!

Scott
Old 12-09-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonS View Post
...think 512 crate...
The 289 barely fits in a Falcon! This ain't no Galaxy!