Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-22-2004, 06:03 PM

hey, how about stirring peanut butter?

I like my makita 14.4

Aaron, all the cra??man cordless I've seen are made in china. Does that mean p/c are made there too?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:13 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

I guess I will chime in here as far as crapsman power tools I have only had one and it was a sawsall went too cut some 2 inch black iron with it first time out of the box stripped it right out took it back too sears got my money back went too a local pawn shop I frequent snatched up a milwalky super sawzall that looked brand spankin new for half what I had given for the crapsman that was 3 years ago saw still going strong . As far as cordless drills I have a milwalky 12 volt a dewalt 18 volt and a dewalt 9.6 volt . I use the milwalky predominantly although when I need the torque the 18 volt dewalt will rip your arm off if your not carefull . so my suggestion would be go check some of the local pawn shops if you watch what you are getting you can get one heck of a deal at most of them . By the way the only one of the 4 tools mentioned baught new was the milwalky 12 volt and that was only becouse it was on clearance

just my .02 peso's
Rick
Old 06-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Holder of only Official Titles

I thought they were one of the few stores that was playing nice.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

Regarding the drill......I guess I'm just too old fashion....."If you can't plug it in, it's just gonna' frustrate you" !

If you gotta' have a drill that will work away from a power outlet....that's the perfect argument for a nice, new diesel-fired welder with power outlets !

"Can you say: "Lincoln Pipeliner" ?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:36 PM

OK, I have to throw in my two cents worth about Sears. 20 years ago I think they sold some great tools. I don't buy from them now. When I first got married I lived in Memphis. There was a big Sears distribution center in mid-town. The distribution center had a (big) outlet shop that carried every reconditioned tool that Sears sold. My first tool purchase was a craftsman reconditioned 3/8 inch drill. That drill has been used for over 25 years on everything from wood to concrete and is still going strong. The variable speed no longer works, but the drill still runs as strong as it did the day I got it. It's also heavy as hell, you wouldn't want to use it to put up dry wall. I haven't measured it, but I can't tell tell there is any runout, at least by feel or sight. The head is heavy cast aluminum. I bought my Dad and father-in-law one for Christmas, and both of them are still working also. We lived in Memphis for ten years and the outlet store and distribution center closed before we moved. It was like losing an old friend.

Last edited by Jim314; 06-22-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:02 PM
SFT Brewmaster

i have to agree with jim ....years ago they where the ones to beat ...i have 2 1/2 drive rachets one old, one new....the old one i have no porblems with putting a cheater on ...but tried it once with the new and the guts fell out
and you don't get a new one just a rebuild kit ....but i will buy their rusty tools if i see then at a sale and trade for new at the store

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------
Old 06-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Aaron

I can't swear about the PC-crapsman connection now, but a few years back (maybe three or four?) they were even advertising the same "patented high-torque motor". If it is so proprietary, then why were both PC and crapsman using it?

I had to ask, and the sales dude told me that I was right, and at that time most of their electric tools were made by the same company making PC tools.

We all know about crapsman's current lack of quality, and how they buy their tools from the lowest bidder, so it wouldn't surprise me if the current crop of crap(sman) isn't made by someone else. But again, that is just one more reason to buy tools from anyone else. Imagine trying to buy a replacement battery in a year or so.....

But that's what they want. You'll have to buy the new tool from them instead. After all, when the new battery cost $90 and the new tool, complete with 2 batteries and another charger only costs $150, why would you not? If you're planning to buy crapsman, consider HF and save some coin.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:17 AM

It varies from time to time and tool to tool who makes Craftsman tools. Alot of the craftsman side grinders used to be made by whoever makes DeWalt tools for example. I have a Craftsman Industrial grinder that's about 6 years old that for years looked just like a DeWalt model that home depot/lowes sold.