Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-15-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Any suppliers for pre formed rings?

Hey all!

You guys sure seem to move around quite a bit, but, as I believe Franz said, us newbies want info from you "expurts." So now I've found ya'!

Anyway, here's my situation. I have a local greenhouse/nursurey owner who wants me to build him a few fern stands to sell at his store. I'm not looking for a career change, but some extra spending money for the shop and tool habit sure would be nice. I'm planning on giving him a "draft version" this week, but I figure if I'm going to be producing these on a larger scale, it will (hopefully) be cheaper / more time efficient to buy these rings pre-made as opposed to wrestling with my HF roller, welding up the ring, grinding everything down smooth, and then trying to get some semblance of an actual circle. That is, if there's something like this available.

I'll be needing rings in the 9 to 12 inch diameter range. Preferred material would be 1\2" flat bar (~1/8" thick), but I would be willing to go 1/4" round (or anything else for that matter) if that's more commonly available.

Do ya'll have any suggestions for sources I might be able to try? Local suppliers are a joke, so I'm hoping to find a mail order / online supplier willing to deal with relatively small orders.

Thanks in Advance!

JeepinHank
Old 06-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Banned

My thinking is you'll get better pricing locally from a fab shop that has available time on a roller than you will buying from a supplier and paying the shipping till you reach truckload quantitys.
Of course, it helps to know who has what machine in your area, and if they are willing to take in jobs. I can get both CNC lazer and waterjet cutting done here at cheaper prices than I believe because the outfit that owns the machines realized they had available time, and encouraged their employees to bring in "government work" to fill that space.
Another way of making rings cheap is to slice them off the end of a piece of pipe.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to banzaitoyota

Surprised Franz (ya know: the OLD guy) did not tell you to go out and smelt your own ore!! LOL J/K.

Another idea: Go buy a fab shop and buy their drops from pipe trimming
Old 06-15-2004, 12:59 PM

Lightbulb Thanks

Thanks for the advice Franz...

I still don't know all of the fab shops in the area, but most of the ones I've dealt with either concentrate on steel buildings, or exhaust and trailer repairs, so I'm not sure who would be able to do something like this. (Not much of a market for artistic or decorative iron in this area) I guess I just need to drop in on a few of the shops I drive by on my way to/from work and see what they may be able to do for me...

I could always bite the bullet and do it myself. I just wanted to investigate any other options beforehand. Time is my most valuable resource, so the more time I spend on these things, the less profit (or $ / hour for my time) will be going to tools n such.

`Course, then again, I could always learn how to make decent welds and reduce my grinding and cleanup time that way.

Thanks again, I'll post up a couple of pics of the finished product whenever I get the first one done!
Old 06-15-2004, 01:19 PM

It might be cheaper on you to just get a fab shop to bend rings up for you and then you weld them at home.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:49 PM

Hank, see if these will work for you. Before you finalize the order, ask them how much the shipping will be.
http://www.kingmetals.com/Pages/Page10-iii.html
Old 06-16-2004, 12:46 AM
Elite Member

Sounds like a great excuse to get a decent bandsaw as it would be a simple matter to cut pipe (non-galvi of course) to whatever width you want.
Viola, instant(kinda) ring. Anyway just another option

Dammit Franz, I should know better and read your entire posts - What other tools they got out their to make decent cuts on tubing/pipe this big anyway?

Last edited by X-ray; 06-16-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:46 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the link Jim!
I don't know why I didn't think of king metals before... I have the catalog sitting at home. That may be an option, depending on what the shipping would run of course. I'll order a few and see what I can do with them.

X-ray - I like the idea of a good bandsaw, but I'd hate to think how much a bandsaw with a 10" capacity would set me back. Wouldn't a plasma cutter make good rings too? lol - I'd love to be able to tell the wife that I NEED a plasma cutter!

Thanks to everyone for the advice - again - I'll post some pics whenever I get the first one finished up. Picking up 120' of flat bar this afternoon. I'm sure that won't last very long though. If the king metals rings don't work, I'll probably just go ahead and roll them myself