Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 07-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Armchair Webbie

Smile Rail Recycling

Did anyone see "Boneyard" on the History Channel the other night? It was all about railroads and how the engines, cars, rails and even ties are recycled or refurbished. Since there has been so much talk lately about railroad rails and anvils and such, I found one feature of the show really amazing. There is a company that has been around for ages that recycles old rails. They don't melt them down but rather, heat them to something like 2550 degrees to a plastic state. Then they are blasted to remove surface impurities while still yellow hot and rerolled into fence posts. The kind that look like a hat section when viewed from the end. They also make bed frame angle and "T" iron as well. Railroad rails are their only raw material. I've worked in manufacturing all my life in one form or another and it gives you an idea of just how vast the world is, that consumers can keep scarfing up your products for decades and beyond. Apparently, there are alot of old railroad rails out there being removed and recycled for this company to have been in business for so long.
Tonight, (7/5/07), "Boneyard" will be on again at 9:00 pm EST on the History Channel and it will be about automobiles. Check it out.

Dave
Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Gold Star Dad

Could that be Jersey Shore Steel doing the rerolling? http://www.jssteel.com/
Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Armchair Webbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Sorry USMCPOP, it might be but, I didn't catch the name of the place. It'll be on again though. The History Channel gets alot of mileage out of their programs, which, I don't really mind.

Dave
Old 07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Lord of the Minions

I watched the show and did find it interesting. My only problem is I hate those dinky little steel posts. My idea of a mile of fence is to kill 20 trees.

Nice show though.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Gold Star Dad

Word of warning for those who might have occasion to weld things made of old bed frames, fence posts or whatever - if it's old rail steel, there's a good chance it'll have a fair amount of carbon in it, perhaps as much as .65%.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:00 AM

Default boneyard show on Hist channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
Did anyone see "Boneyard" on the History Channel the other night? It was all about railroads and how the engines, cars, rails and even ties are recycled or refurbished.
I didn't know there was enuf money in metal fenceposts to keep that furnace running all the time making them..hate to see what that costs a month!! nice clip of the Sierra baler/logger eating that red Mitsubishi car,tires and all!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:02 AM
That HURT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
I've lived up and down the Jersey shore all my life and never heard of this outfit, it figures that they're in PA.

Pa. license plates say "You have a friend in Pennsylvania". The joke around here is that they should read, " I have a summer house in south Jersey".
Old 07-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Gold Star Dad

One thing I found interesting is that Jersey Steel posts a rolling schedule so you can see what stuff is being rolled each day for the current month. I suppose it's best to get it warm from the oven - they didn't mention anything about adding preservatives Or maybe you need to bring some thick gloves if you pick it up the same day.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post
I didn't know there was enuf money in metal fenceposts to keep that furnace running all the time making them..hate to see what that costs a month!! nice clip of the Sierra baler/logger eating that red Mitsubishi car,tires and all!
Shoot a metal T post sells for $3.45 right now. You need about 20 just to fence one side of an acre. There is LOTS of money in it.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Here is another company that recycles railroad steel http://www.franklinindustriesco.com/
Not to far from my home . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank