Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 PM

Default Gotta question about coal

So I have a gas forge and a coal forge, and even with all the start up and smoke, I like the coal one better. I really like wood charcoal but it burns too fast and gets too expensive so I use blacksmith coal that I buy from our local guild. It's a long drive but I can't find anywhere else to get it.

A friend of mine has a railroad tracks in his backyard and it's on a big curve. He gets lots of coal spilled over on the ground out there and gave me a bucket of it. I'd like to use it, but it looks different to me and I'm wondering if you fellow blacksmiths might be able to tell me if it'll work for forging. I'd just try it myself but I won't be able to try it for about a week or so and I'm a little excited to find out, as the place I go to buy my coal now is a far drive, and I don't get out that way often.

The coal on the left is the stuff I buy from the Guild and is more "sparkly" or at least covered in more "sparkly" dust. It's also dirtier to handle. The stuff on the right is the spillover coal and is dull in color and clean to handle. It's possible that the sparkly dust washes off revealing the dull color but I haven't tried that yet. Looking at the picture, they look the same but the stuff on the left is much glossier or more sparkly then the other stuff.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	151792  

Last edited by Scratch; 08-13-2019 at 06:01 PM.