Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-01-2019, 10:51 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
I think I am beginning to understand Tacos you have to press the chit out of them to make them edible
Depends on the type of taco on if it's corn or flower or that health food crap they make taste like everything but what it is...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 06-02-2019, 07:41 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I thought I'd done up a 'how I make them' thread around here a couple years back that showed both major types of presses that I use. The taco press gets about half the work, but the 20t hydraulic standard press gets a lot done too when making "pancake" style holsters. I've got a third one, that the taco press Randall is making is vaguely modeled after--at least in materials. Not sure what it's called but it's a general pain in the ass to use.

The taco style has a lot of benefits for me as a maker though. It saves material, I can use an 8x8" piece of plastic to make almost any rig. Once it's cooled, you drill a couple holes, cut things down to size, polish, then attach any hardware it needs and send it out the door. A pancake style uses two smaller pieces of plastic (roughly 7x7). It has a front and a back and each piece has to be pressed individually so you double the total operations to mold the entire gun. Once done, everything has to be held together and lined back up while drilling holes, then it's usually cut and the sides reheated to bend them back around to the body contour before adding hardware and polishing.

Here's an example out of each type of press for the same gun:

Left is made in the taco for an IWB carry. Very small profile and about an inch narrower because it doesn't have to have hardware on both sides. Right is pancake for OWB carry (has a paddle clip on the back). It could easily have standard belt loops screwed into the rivets on each side instead.

I spend about 20-30 minutes prepping the gun for molding by covering them with heat resistant tape, blocking to fill in the voids, adding a rail to the top of the slide to create a sight channel, and anything else it may need. It takes 90 seconds to heat the plastic, and maybe 20 minutes to complete after it's cooled. The pancake easily doubles that time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	press compare.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	151006  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 06-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Well BAck to raw with the paint it did not come out worth chit...
So South yet again... Ad my plan had been to give it that brushed stainless look
So now I need to step back and figure this problem out could be my paints getting old but really not that old a few months but heat and cold temps may have screwed with them...

Anyway, I wet sandblasted all the paint and primer back off to the bare metal
So will get fresh paint and try again but may do something heat resistant with what color choices I'll have maybe a hammered look be best.

Name:	20190602_125524.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	151012Click image for larger version

Name:	20190602_125518.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	151013

Old 06-03-2019, 12:21 AM
Lubrication Consultant

A few pics after high pressure wet sandblasting, A little drawback to wet blasting is the quick response of surface rust but nothing a little OSPHO won't
take care of. besides OSPHO needs a little rust to react to anyway.

So now The blasted metal is fairly rough in texture. so, a high fill primer is in order. Then I was thinking this Dulicolor "see pic" will be appropriate or maybe a hammered looking paint or maybe a ceramic paint depending on color choices.

Name:	DSCF1938.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	151024Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1937.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	151025Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1939.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	151026

Old 06-03-2019, 02:12 AM
Lubrication Consultant

And Yes this is irritating me so... I tried tonight a second time to accomplish the color tone I was looking for and another no go.

I'm just guessing here maybe but I just may have lost my touch to transform things... The paint coat I was looking for and was supposed to come out looking like this on the taco press is a chrome looking base paint and after getting it to chrome/flash over to the gloss coat...

To make it. look like, brushed stainless after it cured 24 to 36 hours. I would then take a soft Scotch-Brite pad and wipe it down and it would give it the brushed Stainless look...

Here are some pics of a stand I did for the tattoo shop before I wiped with the Scotch-Brite can't find the end result pics of the after but you can get the idea...

I used 24 ga. galvanized sheet metal for this project... and it came out as intended this addition of the sheet metal was so that the INK racks which were magnetized could stick to the side of the roller cart and leave the sterile stainless tray on top the artist works off of...

So, I was thinking this would look really nice for Dubby's Taco press but twice I tried this same prosses but it refuses to flash over to the chrome finish
and twice I have had to remove all the paint to bare metal I'm using the same brand... well actually the same can's I used for the roller cart project.

The cans seem to function properly and spray seems to be evenly patterned so you would not think there is anything wrong with the paint but it has gone through a few months of cold weather out in the shop and a couple of months of warmish hot to hot conditions prior to using it on the Taco press...

So either I have completely lost my ability to make the little weird color schemes come out into a reality of sorts, or there is something happening in the metal and primer or the paint is just no good from weather changes I just don't know Other maybe I just completely lost my touch.

Name:	20180718_140415.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	151027Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_165055.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	151028

Old 06-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post

So either I have completely lost my ability to make the little weird color schemes come out into a reality of sorts, or there is something happening in the metal and primer or the paint is just no good from weather changes I just don't know Other maybe I just completely lost my touch.
Sometimes a man just has to let it go & find something else to worry about.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951