Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I'll post it later.
No need Camd', I've got a f/b welding winch truck with poles and a tail roller that took a f/l to reinstall after some work on the bed. Probably weighs as much as my little Cub. lol

I'll look at both, rolling and the half moon etc. Either will be suitable in the end.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
2.375 well tube is a sliding fit inside 2.875" tube.
Unless you regularly hang stuff over the rear of the trailer don't be shy on a bit of height. Logs are so irregular, an inch will not get in the way. And like you said, proper load securement is the shit.
My opinion is a bit different. Larger rolls, etc mean easier life for cable and also a 2" branch stub will go over a 6" or larger roll, but will halt progress if hooked on a roll smaller than 4". My .02$ can. YMMV
Old 05-06-2018, 06:28 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
My opinion is a bit different. Larger rolls, etc mean easier life for cable and also a 2" branch stub will go over a 6" or larger roll, but will halt progress if hooked on a roll smaller than 4". My .02$ can. YMMV
I think we are talking different things.
Big diameter is good. Big diameter raised up an inch above the deck is good too.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 05-06-2018, 07:12 PM
Lord of the Minions

My two cents.............. anything is better than the upside down angle on the tail and that sharp edge. lol As far as pulling a wire cable across that edge, it never happens as I always carry and use a round fence post dedicated for laying the cable over it that has the ends notched to slide into the slots for a tail board gate. It's got hash marks these days.

I know some would think my rig for picking up with a gin set that will lean back over what is to be picked up and is able to hinge over on top of the trailer is somewhat of a Rube Goldberg affair. Especially when one notices there are 3 winches in play.

One is attached to the gin arms, another is attached to a chain running through a sheave pulley at the top of the "A" or square tower and the third is for pulling the object forward onto the trailer.

I quit using a cable winch when I got a worthy winch for chain etc. Makes it easier for rigging of the object should it be something like a log, pipe or something not as delicate as a lathe.

My ultimate fantasy of a trailer rig is to have exactly what PhotoMask has put together. Of course 1st I'll need a better/stronger trailer, hydraulic system and the frickin knuckle boom lift. There out there, but just never had the moons and planets in alignment to make the instant gratification purchase.

But, what ever I add to my tail will be removable with pocket perches and pins for security. Easy to make both if the need is seen. I have no idea what I'll do with 2/5ths of a piece of nice pipe in scrap. sigh.............Oh, wait, dead jack legs.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!