Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-28-2015, 11:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What are you going to use to catch all the grinding dust?
Just do it outside and let the wind sweep it up.
...lew...
Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Default Motor Wiring

Opinions on wiring motor for 120V or 240V? I feel inclined to 240V knowing that it keeps overall amperage down and thus heat in the wiring. My question really is then, what does the difference of the two do to longevity of the motor?

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 03-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
Opinions on wiring motor for 120V or 240V? I feel inclined to 240V knowing that it keeps overall amperage down and thus heat in the wiring. My question really is then, what does the difference of the two do to longevity of the motor?
A cooler motor will run longer without the effect of heat on bearings and windings.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
The motor is the same size no matter if it is 120 or 220 volt configured. Your KW will be the same and your cost to run the motor will be the same. The savings come from the actual wire size and associated controls running to the machine. Double the volts and half the amps required to run the machine. Smaller wire gage can be employed with higher voltages and saving money that way.

I would scrounge the pile of opportunity and see what was in stock and go with what I had. Thats just me.

Scott
Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
A cooler motor will run longer without the effect of heat on bearings and windings.
This is a fact along with all electrical items.

Scott
Old 03-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
The motor is the same size no matter if it is 120 or 220 volt configured. Your KW will be the same and your cost to run the motor will be the same. The savings come from the actual wire size and associated controls running to the machine. Double the volts and half the amps required to run the machine. Smaller wire gage can be employed with higher voltages and saving money that way. I would scrounge the pile of opportunity and see what was in stock and go with what I had. Thats just me. Scott
Thanks for this info Scott. I thought the actual cost of the electricity would be the same, but I have been told that it would be cheaper to run. There also was some discussion about the efficency of the motor being better on 220. Now I know better.
David, one consideration I would think about, is the grinder only going to be used in one spot, that you would have to run 220 to? If you want to move it around the shop, or take it somewhere else to use, what is the availability of 220 power vs. 110. I tend to like 110 for the ease of portability, but 220 would be better overall for operation. IMHO

Sent from my iPod touch using SFT

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Thanks for this info Scott. I thought the actual cost of the electricity would be the same, but I have been told that it would be cheaper to run. There also was some discussion about the efficency of the motor being better on 220. Now I know better.
David, one consideration I would think about, is the grinder only going to be used in one spot, that you would have to run 220 to? If you want to move it around the shop, or take it somewhere else to use, what is the availability of 220 power vs. 110. I tend to like 110 for the ease of portability, but 220 would be better overall for operation. IMHO

Sent from my iPod touch using SFT
Well it seems unanimous to go with 220. As for portability, the nice thing about 220 is the lower current and the less expensive cables are, I will put more plugs in for this, as I have been doing so for my Lathe (which this grinding dust wont be near) and also a future mill, so why not continue this 30A 220 circuit around the shop, not a huge investment really. Also do to the less expensive cable I will likely make a extension cord that I can have around encase I do want to take it outside the door or something. I will likely have a common spot, but it will be mobile just because.

My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

Old 03-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
Well it seems unanimous to go with 220. As for portability, the nice thing about 220 is the lower current and the less expensive cables are, I will put more plugs in for this, as I have been doing so for my Lathe (which this grinding dust wont be near) and also a future mill, so why not continue this 30A 220 circuit around the shop, not a huge investment really. Also do to the less expensive cable I will likely make a extension cord that I can have around encase I do want to take it outside the door or something. I will likely have a common spot, but it will be mobile just because.
I'll throw this out for discussion or for me to type out loud. A 30 amp circuit would require the same size conductor if it is 120,220,440 or so on. 30 amps at any voltage is 30 amps.

I'll attach a pdf of the ampacities of current carrying conductors. Typically you can use the thhn or 90C column you can also see other types of wires have different ampacities due to different temp ratings of the different types of insulation. You can see on the chart there is no mention of voltage.

Here is a calculator for some motor calculations. You can tinker around with the various calculators and see how it works.

1 hp is ~ .75kw, So if the motor ran for 1 hour it would be .75 kwh on your electrical service meter. Does not matter much single phase, 3 phase, 120, 220, 440, and so on.

Scott
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nec ampacities.pdf (673.8 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by Scotts; 03-01-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 PM

Thank you Scott, I am well aware of ampacity being the same. Got the motor wired according to the schematic, even got it going the right direction.

My YouTube Channel