Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-25-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Would the other antennas worked better if they were down by the house next to the lake instead of back behind the trees?
Yes, I think they would work a lot better. Since he's a lot further back, we need to be able to get the signal through trees, houses, and if trying to reach the far left/right shores, cut straight across land. He's not in an ideal location, so we need the bigger antennas to compensate.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcord View Post
I don't know much about xbee, but digi-mesh leads me to think that you don't need to reach the farthest point directly from the base. You could have multiple radios, each within range of at least one other radio.

So, if the closest tip-up was not in range of the house, just put a series of radios between the house and the closest tip-up.

Have I fallen through the ice and gotten all wet with this thinking?
No you haven't fallen through. I'm considering this approach as well. It wouldn't work with the directional antennas since they're pointing towards the house and not each other, but with high gain omnidirectional antennas maybe. The factory firmware that I bought these radios in was point to multipoint, but I believe that I can load the digimesh firmware without incident. The other consideration is battery power. If one is setup as a router, does it need to be on all the time, or can it work in the cyclic sleeping mode/sleep coordinator mode. Ideally, if you were going to use the digimesh protocol, the tip ups themselves would do the routing instead of having another routing base station that needs to be setup on lake or shore. Again, I don't have all the specifics worked out yet, but it will definitely be explored.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper View Post
I just read the pdf you posted about improving range , in there it mentions -
" In order to have ground clearance, the combined antenna height should be equal to the diameter of the Fresnel zone " , your antenna on the lake should be at least 10 1/2 ft above the ice , at one foot height you're losing a lot signal right there .
But, since it's combined height, I should be able to compensate more on the roof side than the tip up side. Your right that a higher antenna would make a big difference. During the testing phase, placing the antenna closer to the ground did effect signal strength slightly. I wouldn't be opposed to a changing the rod to 2-3ft, but at 6-10 you're losing portability; something has to give. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to setup a tripod stand just to hold the antenna. I'd be more inclined to just use a greater dbi yagi. Yesterday I did order a 6dbi gain yagi that's only $4.00 more than the 3dbi but at 17" in length vs 12". I originally started with the smallest one I could find, thinking it would tip over, but now with weight and balance achieved in the last version, I think we can go a lot bigger. I will definitely consider longer mounting poles, and try to find a happy medium between signal strength and portability.