Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Gadget Girl

I've had good like with http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/

I have a wide foot.. Usually a 11W womens.. But when the occasion comes along and don't need to be fashionable.. (Daily) I just wear men's shoes as the selection of womens' working shoes is mighty slim..

I usually by the shoes from Duluth trading when there is a sale and I like the roofers. These have a double layer outside of leather with a minimal inside anything.. just a plain leather boot.. with insert.

I like the long lace up this allows for extra room in the toe box if needed..

These are almost 3 years old and with the farrier work I usually wear off the soles at an angle since you turn your toes of each foot towards each other to angle your knees in..

You can see from the bottoms are still flat but at this point the leather is getting a little scruffy.. I use boot oil monthly..

I would buy another set of these easily.

I am not a fan of boots at all.. I prefer shoes but for welding and hot work these have been excellent and usually wear the shoes for the job at hand..

Welding, blacksmith work.. Boots Usual auto repair shoes..

Here are the new Duluth ones: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...igin=mens-home

I wore through a set of vibram soles like the new ones on these duluth ones in just over a year.. Not sure I would buy them..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141010_093247.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	119062   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141010_093305.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	119063  

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

Last edited by allessence; 10-10-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Elite Member

I go to great lengths to find good footwear, since I have knee and back injuries that get cranky if everything isn't just perfect. I had a pair of JB Goodhue ironworkers, and to this day still feel they were my best boots ever. I have been wearing Terra boots the last couple of years, but find the soles very soft for shovel work, but they are great in winter since they don't freeze solid making them scary to walk on ice covered surfaces. I get about a year out of the Terra boots, they are the same model many SWAT teams and sub-military outfit with. They stand up well, but when they go, they completely go.

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Drivin' Fool

The worst thing to do for my feet is buy cheap boots.
I learned that lesson many years ago, and for the last several years I was working, I bought Redwings (12EE ,the 8" high ones),with the steel insoles and toes. I recently bought another pair even though I am officially retired, but do work occasionally, and like to have something solid on my feet when hacking around in the garage.
They lasted quite well, as long as I kept them oiled that is, and the soles usually wore out before the uppers did. I wore them winter and summer; I only wear insulated boots if it gets colder than about -30C or better and I will be outside for quite some time, and have been quite happy with how they feel.
The best boots I have worn were Pierre Paris boots (electric line crew's favorite boots back then) that I had in the 70's. One pair lasted me for over 3 years, which was actually about 3 times as long as other brands I tried, considering the abuse they were subjected to, such as cut down shovels, steel equipment pedals, mud, water, snow etc.
They were quite expensive at the time, but if they were still being produced, I would probably buy another pair if I was working full time.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Usually I just buy $60 pair at Walmart. And extra pair of insoles cushions. I tried doc martins a couple years ago. They were nice but wore out in under a year. For that much money I could have got two pair and twice as long with cheaper boots.

Sent from my iPod touch using SFT
This is one area I don't give a sh1t about. My feet and comfort are paramount to me. If a boot is comfortable and only lasts 12 months who cares ($99 is not that much money at Academy Sports). Let's face it we all waste a lot of money so if a boot is comfortable and does not last all that long in my opinion it is worth it. Just my 2 cents.
Nick
Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
I've had good like with http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/

I have a wide foot.. Usually a 11W womens.. But when the occasion comes along and don't need to be fashionable.. (Daily) I just wear men's shoes as the selection of womens' working shoes is mighty slim..

I usually by the shoes from Duluth trading when there is a sale and I like the roofers. These have a double layer outside of leather with a minimal inside anything.. just a plain leather boot.. with insert.

I like the long lace up this allows for extra room in the toe box if needed..

These are almost 3 years old and with the farrier work I usually wear off the soles at an angle since you turn your toes of each foot towards each other to angle your knees in..

You can see from the bottoms are still flat but at this point the leather is getting a little scruffy.. I use boot oil monthly..

I would buy another set of these easily
Hey! Weinbrenners are made in my hometown! They employ a fair number of people.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:25 AM

Well, I'm no doctor and don't play one on TV but this worked for me. I work outside every day, mostly in rugged bush and on concrete and pavement and about 5 years ago my feet were hurting so much I could hardly walk. Went to a certified foot doctor and he custom made me a set of orthotic insoles and in a matter of days of using them the pain was gone and everything back to normal. I wear Greb Kodiak boots with a zipper on the side as I'm to lazy to use laces.
Al
Old 10-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al 2 View Post
Well, I'm no doctor and don't play one on TV but this worked for me. I work outside every day, mostly in rugged bush and on concrete and pavement and about 5 years ago my feet were hurting so much I could hardly walk. Went to a certified foot doctor and he custom made me a set of orthotic insoles and in a matter of days of using them the pain was gone and everything back to normal. I wear Greb Kodiak boots with a zipper on the side as I'm to lazy to use laces.
Al
Like the no laces idea.. so just from your post I've copied and searched Greb Kodiak and it's funny because:

Grubs is a shoe maker,, and Kodiak are shoe makers.. haven't found greb yet..

Found Greb's.. Closed years ago.. Are they still MFG'd? If not you win the award for longest lasting boots..

http://doorsclosedwaterloo.wordpress...eb-industries/

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 AM
there has to be an answer

Jen it's Canadian.

Here's the 'about' page.
https://www.kodiakboots.com/en-ca/about.aspx

Their home page
https://www.kodiakboots.com/

They make good boots, I had some years ago.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I am on my feet all day every day, and have been working 6-7 days a week for many months. My feet started bothering me earlier this year. I have stretched,insoled, drugged them to no avail.
I found a pair of new boots on ebay earlier this year that were dead ringers for the Ariat Cascades that I usually wear, that were dirt cheap. I bought a pair and had been wearing them since. I realized that my foot pain and my shoe purchase coincided. I went and paid full retail for a pair of the Ariats tonight. I felt immediately much better i doubt the Ariats are US made, but at least are much better engineered. Hopefully my foot pain will ease completely over the next few weeks.
Ariat boots are the best thing that's happened to my feet in a long time. I've tried all kinds, but Ariats feel the best and last longer than any I've tried.