Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-06-2014, 11:17 PM

Thank you all for your opinions and experiences.
So here's what happened. I stopped at both lumber yards, along with Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot. Nobody carried Bosch sawzalls. At Home Depot, I met a Milwaukee tool rep and after much discussion, tried Ryobi, Dewalt, Rigid, Milwaukee, and a couple of others. He said that Milwaukee introduced their battery sawzall two weeks ago. I know I checked about three months ago and couldn't find one. It came with a case that held one lithium battery and a charger for 207.00 which I bought. An extra battery is 99.99 but they were out of stock. Seems a guy was there yesterday and bought the four that they stocked. The saw is warranteed for 5 years and the battery for three. I also have 90 days to return it for a full refund. I should know within that time whether it's a keeper or not.

I will say this about Bosch. 15 years ago, I bought two of their cordless drills. They lasted me 14 years and after drilling thousands of holes and driving thousands of screws, the only reason I gave them up was I couldn't replace the batteries any more.
As you can guess, I bought two more and went right back to work.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:19 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

I know I'm late to the party but will throw this out there for the record. I have one of the older blue Ryobi tool packs that originally came with Nicads. Pretty much worthless. Ryobi introduced the green/gray colored Li Ion batteries and I tried one. The sawzall and skil saw are now my go to tools. Beasts...unreal difference. Diablo blades make the sawzall a demo dream.

The batteries last forever and charge so quickly its hard to believe. If you have two batteries you never stop working.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwatterkent View Post
Thank you all for your opinions and experiences.
So here's what happened. I stopped at both lumber yards, along with Menards, Lowes, and Home Depot. Nobody carried Bosch sawzalls. At Home Depot, I met a Milwaukee tool rep and after much discussion, tried Ryobi, Dewalt, Rigid, Milwaukee, and a couple of others. He said that Milwaukee introduced their battery sawzall two weeks ago. I know I checked about three months ago and couldn't find one. It came with a case that held one lithium battery and a charger for 207.00 which I bought. .
Yeah, you dont find the full tool line of bosch anywhere except for Fastenal, and they wont have it in stock. For about the last decade, Ive bought all my power tools from CPO. They started out only selling bosch, but now they are tool whores and will sell any brand. You got into the Milwaukee for about a c-note less than the comparable bosch.

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-crs180...-cordless-saws

Something I didnt share, somewhere in the late 90s, I was hired to finish out a house, by a contractor that was running low on labor, one of the guys on that job had all Bosch tools, at the time, everything I owned was Red. After picking up one of his bosch tools, and using it, I was hooked. Panasonic makes some good drills too. Ive yet to break a Bosch tool, or wear one out. Ive got them from 9.6 to 24 Volt. Several are brute, and they have some guarantee that you can drop the tool from something like 24 feet and if it breaks, they will replace it. Dont hold me to that, because Im working from memory.

While restoring this house, I hired an unemployed buddy of mine. House is circa 1904, wood is hard, if you chase construction (deck) screws with a drill, the fastener or driver bit will break. Within a week of each other, he bought the Milwaukee Impactor and drill set, I bought the Bosch Impactor and drill set, both Li-Ion, both 18 volts. On several occasions, he would pick up my bosch and comment how much faster my impactor would run screws compared to his. We where both running slim pack batteries, even though I have fat packs from other 18v Li-Ion tools. Apple to Apple, he said I had the better tool. I never used his Milwaukee to know, but the difference was almost immeasurable. Ive not bought the Li-Ion Sawzall because my Ni-Cad 18 Sawzall is still trucking just fine, and I dont use it often enough to warrant the purchase, "just cause". Ive got other tools I need to throw money at first !

Last edited by Windy_Acres; 10-07-2014 at 10:17 AM.