Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-03-2014, 05:12 PM

In my mind the best shovel is always the one in someone else's hands

To real estate agent - "I need a 8 car garage with an attached kitchen and bedroom"

"I'm not saying we kill stupid people, just remove warning labels and let the problem sort itself out"

Snap-On Tools
Matco Boxes
Direct Lift Motorcycle Hoists
Lincoln Welders
Thermal Arc Inverters
Real Solvent in the tank
Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Made From Scratch

Razorbacks are better than average but not bullet proof by any means. The fiberglass handles hold up much better than the wooden handles. The lifetime warranty doesn't apply to commercial use either for whatever thats worth.

I have a rigid brand shovel from home depot that I'm pretty happy with. The blade has beads rolled in it to stiffen it, and the socket comes up the handle alot farther than normal to help keep from breaking it right at the neck. Has a nice hefty fiberglass handle too. Its not perfect but it works pretty well.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:51 PM
SFT Historian

Was it this thread?
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=33574
Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 AM
Elite Member

Thanks GWIZ, that was the one.

I have googled around and seen a few different things. Hard to know from a distance though if they are as good as promised.

I had a look at mine this morning. Atlas brand, no.2....used to be made here and worth the money.
The old one I was given has the end 2 inches worn right off but it is thinner,stronger and nicer to use than my newer one which failed.

I wore the end off pretty fast, which had me wondering if it was as crappy as it was looking like and when trying to cut through a root which it should have easily.....it split.

I looked in the local version of what is sposed to pass for a hardware store and looked at the new Atlas stuff. Assembled in NZ, components sourced from china and brazil.
So, the head is heavier and shittier than before and I never yet met a tropical hardwood handle that was worth diddly, so I avoid them like the plague............all for the same price the good ones were. I dont think so.

Asked in at the second ( and only ) hand tool shop in the city and he has some older ones with a new US ash handle for 1/2 the cost of a new POS one.
Will try one of those and hope it works out. If not I will give a razorback a try and go from there.

My favourite shovel was a delight to use.....right shape, head position, weight.....everything. The end was worn and it started to fail so I got a mate with a MIG to fix it. Only worked for a short while before it gave out again. I still have it and will recycle the handle.

Last week I moved several tons of wet dirt and gravel with a shovel and wheelbarrow. Not work I enjoy particularly, but it has to be done and I certainly dont have the money to get in a machine and then pay for a truck to take away all the removed dirt. Plus the mess made by all that heavy gear would be worse than the one I am trying to sort out.

Fighting poorly made tools is something that really pisses me off. I did start thinking about making my own. Might have to talk to Jen and see if it is possible for me or something approaching witchcraft and better left to those better at it than me.
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:20 AM
Director of Languages

True Temper Darby is the only shovel I'd buy, but I dunno if they can be got anwhere but Ireland.

Cheap too, only 25 euro for one.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Elite Member

Yep. I unfortunately spend a lot of time on the business end of a shovel, and true temper is the only way to go. The angle of the head is right, and a little tune up from time to time on the digging edge makes a huge difference. Hickory or maple handles are nice, but ash stands up reasonably well. I gave away my last fiberglass handled true temper - too heavy, and they bend till they break with no warning.

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 09-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Elite Member

I have one like Alchemist listed. But not from Grainger.. It has held up well for the digging that has been done with it.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustythe4x4 View Post
Yep. I unfortunately spend a lot of time on the business end of a shovel, and true temper is the only way to go. The angle of the head is right, and a little tune up from time to time on the digging edge makes a huge difference. Hickory or maple handles are nice, but ash stands up reasonably well. I gave away my last fiberglass handled true temper - too heavy, and they bend till they break with no warning.
You and I seem to have had far to close of a relationship with shovels, in my case over 35 years worth.
I will also throw my support behind True Temper, and my preference is for the #2. It is a pretty decent shovel as-is, and also works quite well when cut down to about 8" wide for cleaning out the average gas line/power line/telephone/CATV trench. Even in a cut down state the blade doesn't bend overly easily, and the handles hold up well.
The only problem I have had with them is trying to get someone else to take it away from me and use it .
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 09-11-2014, 12:44 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I have a couple 50$ landscaper shovels. Had 3 and broke one. I have been buying the Home Depot ones for replacements lately. The Razorback and its like is pretty good and priced right. Its a little lighter and if you are moving dirt vs demolition its really good. Its not bad at demo with a little care.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramd View Post
You and I seem to have had far to close of a relationship with shovels, in my case over 35 years worth.
I will also throw my support behind True Temper, and my preference is for the #2. It is a pretty decent shovel as-is, and also works quite well when cut down to about 8" wide for cleaning out the average gas line/power line/telephone/CATV trench. Even in a cut down state the blade doesn't bend overly easily, and the handles hold up well.
The only problem I have had with them is trying to get someone else to take it away from me and use it .
My best trench shovel is one I cut down. I have one with a fiberglass handle and reinforced edges on the blade, but its REALLY heavy. I have also seen guys weld a piece of 1-1/4" EMT into an old blade when the handle finally gives in.

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible