Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM

Default Dayton Welder 3Z564, Questions. Any one own one

I am looking at a almost new Dayton welder. It says 250 Amps AC, DC. All of the welders I have owned with AC DC, on DC they were about 30%less. This lists both AC & DC as 250. Any opinion on this welder.http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAY...C-Welder-3Z564
Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 PM
SFT Historian

More Then likely made by Century.
I was thinking about replacing the low amp rated diodes in my Century welder in order to get a higher DC output as you noted.

Just a note my Century has a HI and Low tap
Quote:
Most ac welding operations will be performed using the LOW AMPERAGE jack. This output tap, because it has a higher open circuit voltage (OCV), provides a deep penetrating arc for welding rusty or thicker metals.
American Welding Society (AWS) rated rods 6011 and 7018 type are formulated to work well with the higher OCV of the LOW AMPERAGE jack.

The HIGH AMPERAGE jack is better suited for welding thinner pieces because the OCV at this tap is much lower. This tap delivers a shallow penetrating arc and smooth, non-stick welding, preferred for welding thinner metals. AWS rated 6013 and 7014 type rods work well at this tap, since they do not require a vary high open circuit voltage to start.

LOW/180 amp. Jack = Approx. 71.6 OCV
HIGH/230 amp. Jack = Approx. 44.7 OCV
I have not used my Century enough to tell you how well it works.
If it's the right price it should be no different then any other buzz box.
May be a little tricky on sheet metal if it has a high OCV, but that is best for a small MIG.
On the other hand I have noticed that the OCV is getting lower on newer welders. If I had no other choice I would look for the higher OCV machine.

I think there were some questions on this site about how the locking arm on the DAYTON worked.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 AM
Gold Star Dad

I believe the 3Z564 was made by Dayton Manufacturing. A couple people here have that one.