Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM

H80N, I've been accepting responsability for my work for over 25 years now and have never had any problems, I take my time and do it right.

Believe it or not I also weld tongues on house trailers, hitches on dump trucks, gas tanks, tankers, The hilo's ( Moffet ) that suspend off the back of semi trailers.

I do however see your point that not every one is competent to do this type of work so your trying to discourage it and thats cool to.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
H80N, I've been accepting responsability for my work for over 25 years now and have never had any problems, I take my time and do it right.

Believe it or not I also weld tongues on house trailers, hitches on dump trucks, gas tanks, tankers, The hilo's ( Moffet ) that suspend off the back of semi trailers.

I do however see your point that not every one is competent to do this type of work so your trying to discourage it and thats cool to.
I wouldn't think that he is discouraging it, He just wants to point some things out about it...the headaches...

Say a repaired rim blows and they bring it back to you...No problem, I'm sure you will back up your work.. Now say it blows and caused a fatality from an accident...Then those people come looking for money that you don't have, and hopefully your liability insurance will cover it, or you go out of business, or Possibly even to prison. Long story short is, unless you really don't have enough work to keep you busy, it isn't worth the risk involved to do a repair like this.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post

Nobody is arguing with you ....

we are all very happy that you are competent..

and so nice that you share your resume...

Was not trying to discourage anybody..nor to question their abilities.....there are plenty of competent folks that simply chose not to weld damaged alloy rims.... that you chose to do so is your business.. hope that continues to work out for you...

If you were to reread the entire thread in context it might clarify this for you.....
looks like you are getting all excited over posts taken out of context...

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)

Last edited by H80N; 02-13-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Blast this!

I have seen the test results on al rims repaired.I am talking a formed rim not cast .Cast is more forgiving .
Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 AM

Your Right, I did not read every post, I was just trying to say that rims are very weldable and that there are several things out there that are a liability to weld if not done right.