Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Cranky Crustacean

It's RED

I don't recall the name on it and I haven't looked at it in months,but I'll check tomorrow when I go to the shop again since you asked.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Made From Scratch

I think if it were me I'd buy the welder/generator then sell the 6500watt genset and get a gas powered compressor. You should get better performance and have less shit to haul around.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Cranky Crustacean

LOL...I've already got a big gas compressor... Just hadn't intended to cart it around in the truck or a trailer...but I may buy a smaller one just for that use..(great idea--Thanks)

What precipitated this in the first place was an attempt to unload most of the Onan powered pieces of equipment I've acquired. I don't particularly care to have machines around that are difficult to find replacement parts for and I'd accumulated 6-7 things with Onan engines and of course when I went to sell the first one the POS had a dead cylinder so I lost $400 off the sale.

I want to sell off the remaining things and acquire machines with B&S or Kohler motors.... Onan parts are insane. Still have another welder,4 generators & a three wheeled scooter

I can sell off the generators and purchase BOTH weldanpower units and be far better off and still have generator ability
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM

The major plasma system manufacturers supply the specifications required for using their portable plasma systems for field use with a generator.

If you have a Hypertherm system this information is in your operators manual and it also can be found on the www.hypertherm.com website under products, hand held plasma, specifications.

There are listings for operating a high powered air plasma on a generator that may not be able to run the plasma at full output power (arc stretch maximum)....so it suggests what amperage level to turn e plasma down to for a smaller generator output.

As an example: If you have a Hypertherm Powermax45 air plasma....which will sever materials as thick as 1-1/4", and is designed to cut 1/2" steel all day long...you will need a generator of 8 killowatts output power for full arc stretch (the ability to sever the maximum rated thickness of 1-1/4") or can operate on a generator with 6kW output if you are cutting the rated production thickness of 1/2".

The newer technology plasma systems (again, from major suppliers...not the low cost imports....which I would not recommend for generator operation due to the lack of input power surge protection) are inverter based power supplies and are designed to operate under noisy, dirty, non uniform power conditions.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
The major plasma system manufacturers supply the specifications required for using their portable plasma systems for field use with a generator.

If you have a Hypertherm system this information is in your operators manual and it also can be found on the www.hypertherm.com website under products, hand held plasma, specifications.

There are listings for operating a high powered air plasma on a generator that may not be able to run the plasma at full output power (arc stretch maximum)....so it suggests what amperage level to turn e plasma down to for a smaller generator output.

As an example: If you have a Hypertherm Powermax45 air plasma....which will sever materials as thick as 1-1/4", and is designed to cut 1/2" steel all day long...you will need a generator of 8 killowatts output power for full arc stretch (the ability to sever the maximum rated thickness of 1-1/4") or can operate on a generator with 6kW output if you are cutting the rated production thickness of 1/2".

The newer technology plasma systems (again, from major suppliers...not the low cost imports....which I would not recommend for generator operation due to the lack of input power surge protection) are inverter based power supplies and are designed to operate under noisy, dirty, non uniform power conditions.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Well as you know Jim, I just purchased one. I just saw that on the website and was about to post it here. You beet me to it!

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn