Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Auction Addict

Default Dust caps

Alaways had the thought on making my own bearing buddies from regular dust caps. Had two of them from an auction so here we go. Added a 1/4" flat washer to the outside and brazed it on. Drilled a 13/64" hole. tapped for a 1/4" 28 thread and screwed in the grease zerk.

Now I can have dust caps that allow me to pump in grease without having to remove the hub and bearings to repack them. Had bearing buddies on another trailer and liked the idea, just didn't want to pay the $20 for them. These cost me around $5 for the pair. Only took about 15 minutes to make them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1344.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	98293   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1345.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	98294   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1346.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	98295  

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MarkBall2

aren't the store bought ones spring loaded & fit tighter than the factory dust cups? That way the bearings have enough grease without the added pressure of being pumped tight.

I haven't always been a nurse..........

Hobart Handler 175
Century AC 230 amp stick welder
Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
Oxy/Acetylene set
Hand/Power tools
Clark 4x6 Bandsaw
Harbor Freight Tubing Roller
Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
New to me Enco GL-30B Mill/Drill Thank you 1800Miner
Papa Lion's Gate Build

I don't do nuttin half azzed. I phawk it up completely, given half a chance.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Auction Addict

The factory ones are spring loaded but have a drilled pressure relief hole at the end of the spring travel to release grease pressure. With my new ones I am going to try to use them without a pressure relief hole. I'll just have to be careful to watch the pressure. Should be a fairly easy thing to do since you only add grease about once a year anyway. We will see what happens on the next trailer I use them on. If necessary, I will drill a 1/32" relief hole, if needed.

This was just one of those things where I can make something instead of paying for the fancy ones.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 PM

Cool

I was in my families trailer mfg business for 30 years and have seen lots of rear seals blown out from too much pressure. So don't over do it. Just my thought...Bob
http://www.ceilingtrains.com
Miller MM185 with 185 SpoolMate
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
I was in my families trailer mfg business for 30 years and have seen lots of rear seals blown out from too much pressure. So don't over do it. Just my thought...Bob
I have to agree with Bob. I had a set of Bearing Buddies on a tent trailer I owned, and managed to blow a seal out, greasing up the brake shoes pretty thoroughly.
My fifth wheel camper has Dexter E-Z Lube axles under it, and when I took the drums off this spring to check the bearings and set the brakes, one of the seals on one spindle had blown out, possibly right from the factory, as I had not added very much grease at all since buying the trailer.
As a result of these experiences, I am not a fan of either Bearing Buddies, or of the E-Z Lube axles. I will grease my bearings the old fashioned way from now on; at least that way I know that grease is not going places it isn't wanted.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Auction Addict

Although I have had bearing buddies on two trailers and two EZ lube types. Never blown a seal yet. However, you have all convinced me to drill a pressure relief hole in the cap which will tell me when the hub is full of grease.

Woodrow Wilson
Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 PM

I made a set like that a couple years ago, lost them the first time out. LOL. Don't put enough grease to push them out. I drilled a screw in the side of them for the next set. They don't push out now. LOL.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

Grease?!? You're supposed to put grease in there?!?

If your wheels don't lock up, how are you supposed to know your bearings are bad?!?