Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Standard of Excellence

Default Hey Midmo, got a sandblast question

I have a cabinet blaster (large homemade blaster I got 3rd hand) the gun that is in it work sporadically. I can't find nozzles to fit it, etc. I need a new gun. Do you have a recommendation for a new gun? Also, how do you set up the siphon portion? Mine just has a piece of 1/2" conduit going down into the hopper with some holes in it. I usually run copper slag, as I can buy it for $8 a 60# sack. I would like to use steel shot, as I like the finish better, it seems more aggressive and doesn't wear out as fast. Where can I buy it affordably?
In the past I had used a cabinet that had some sort of suction and filter in it that would recycle the steel shot that it used. What is this type of system called, can one be built, where could a guy buy one???
Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Blast this!

I just have pressure blasters so not going to be a lot of help.Siphon guns need to suck a lot of bypass air.Steel shot is not something you want to pay freight on so I would check for local or driving distance suppliers. mine are in Midwest.LW runs a few ,I think siphon cabinets.The one you are talking sounds like a commercial pressure unit. Craigs or Dbay would be sources.Most of the sandblast supply salesmen know where that stuff is but again no salesman in your area.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:07 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Walker

for nozzles and blast cabinet stuff.... I have used TP Tools for about the last 30 years.... they have always treated me well and have decent products..

here is a link.. their site is also a wealth of info on blasting and setup..... could the sporadic op of your present gun be caused by humidity in your air supply??... that is pretty common...

http://www.tptools.com/

and for blasting media... you might research this set of results for somebody near you..

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...p&fr=yfp-t-701

midmo is right... you sure do not want to pay shipping...

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)

Last edited by H80N; 11-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

Damnit. One more catalog, one more project

I've thought about building a cabinet ever since I used cutter's some time back. I've looked at the HF ones when I end up with coupons, but they've changed the design of them and I'm not real fond. Plus, the display in the store is already cracked on one end, the gloves are torn, and the current reviews are not favorable at all.

Plus, being a Walker thread, he'll probably do something totally cool that I never woulda thought of...
Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
Damnit. One more catalog, one more project

I've thought about building a cabinet ever since I used cutter's some time back. I've looked at the HF ones when I end up with coupons, but they've changed the design of them and I'm not real fond. Plus, the display in the store is already cracked on one end, the gloves are torn, and the current reviews are not favorable at all.

Plus, being a Walker thread, he'll probably do something totally cool that I never woulda thought of...
Dubby

TP has build it yourself cab kits...

http://www.tptools.com/dg/142_Abrasi...ters-Kits.html

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Yeah, I saw those. Still seems like an awful lot of stuff you have to buy to go with it. It reminds me of buying a model car kit and having to buy the tires separate. They're neat, but leave something to be desired.

I do have a catalog coming from them. I don't do well with web shopping until after I know what all a company has.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM
One Lone Sub

I picked up a nice little Brut 101H this summer. My compressor is too small to run it so I haven't tried it out yet but for $90.00 I couldn't pass it up.