Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 10-24-2009, 05:47 PM
That HURT!

Default S-10 lift kit?

Trevor and I are planning the build of his S-10. We are doing engine, trans, rear, suspension, and brake re-builds. Trevor wants to put a 2" lift in the suspension. The truck is 2WD and I was wondering if anyone here had first hand knowledge of any of the kits on the market.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

Hmmm... 2 inches should be pretty do-able in that little truck. I'm more familiar with the 4x4 version, but I'll throw in what I know.

The back end is easy, some 2" blocks would be the cheapest/easiest way to go. On the front of the 4wd ones, there's an indexed cam on the torsion bars. Just take a socket and crank the bolt and the front will go up. On my '93 it was good for 1.7". You could buy new, re-indexed cam arms that would minimize the negative effects of lifting the truck, but I never did that. I did find that after taking the front sway bar off, the truck rode MUCH better.

There may be a better way to do the front end, and a little time spent on the net should pay off well. It may be easier to get lift spindles, but again I'm not familiar with any particular brands.

Keep us updated on the truck's progress. It's always fun to see one go from stock to fun

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flametamer

While I have no first-hand knowledge, I believe Fabtech is a big player in the 2WD lift area.

Dt
Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 PM
That HURT!

Well this thread is a little over a year old and the subject truck has been on the road since August. I have made several requests for Trevor to come here and show you his truck but since he is 17 and now has his own wheels his mind is occupied with other things

We bought the truck with a blown engine and decided to spend the time and $$ to go through the whole truck and make it as new as we could. While everyone else seems to be slamming S-10s into low-riders with fart cans, Trevor opted to go the other way with a 2" lift and his own custom exhaust.

He did wind up getting a FABTECH kit on Ebay for less than $300. The kit was pretty easy to install as it was just new lowered spindles. Everything in the front suspension was replaced with new parts as were all barke components including rotor, calipers, drums, cylinders, and brake lines. The engine was completely torn down only to discover that it was a recently re-manufactured engine with less than 10K miles on it. The cylinder head was cracked and the reason for the failure. He replaced the head and re-assembled the engine with new bearings and rings. Trevor got an education in taking bearing clearances, measuring ring gaps, and general engine assembly.

The transmission was torn down, inspected, and reassembled with new bearings and seals. He installed a new clutch, married the engine and trans and intalled it back in the truck with new motor mounts. He bought a SS header off ebay for $99 that was really nice for the price with a 1/2" laser cut flange and 2-1/2" SS tube from the collector to the cat. Trevor gutted the cat and installed a 1-into-2 flowmaster with dual exhaust french into his stealth bumper.

The rear was originally over sprung so to get a 2" lift in the rear, he took the rear out and cut the spring perches off the bottom of the axle tubes and welded them to the top of the tubes. I helped him set the rear up and take angular measurements of the perches before cutting. The stock angle was 9* and is math told him he needed to weld them on at 11* to keep the same pinion angle. He installed ne U-joints, shocks, and tires on a set of Monte Carlo SS rims that he picked up at a yard sale.

He designed and bulit what he calls his stealth bumper with the dual exhaust frenched into it. All in all he has a brand new truck with 300K miles on the odometer. I think he had a good time building it, I know I had a good time wathing him do it.

1 The truck as bought
2-4 Trevor working in the eng compartment
5 Trevor looking for a needed part in the junk yard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep19_0002.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	67556   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1802.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	67557   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1803.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	67558   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1804.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	67559   Click image for larger version

Name:	1282059006648.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	67560  

Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
That HURT!

Just a few more pics. I thought I had pics of him doing the rear axle but I can't find them.

1 The stealth bumper
2 The exhaust outlets
3 The finished Truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1878.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	67561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1879.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	67562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1877.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	67563  
Old 11-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Member Emeritus June 1965 - August 2015

That looks great! I usually don't like most lifted S-10's because the majority of the ones I have seen are body lifted. It makes them look awful since you see that big frame member all along the side. Great job!
I've been crawling on my belly, clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions. I wanna feel the change consume me, feel the outside turning in. I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within.
My shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Yup, nice work and a very nice experience.

I reworked a 55 Chevy BelAir tudor sedan in 1967 and still remember the project. Your Son will remember his truck, too.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

That ended up being a good looking truck.