Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 PM

Over here in the UK it is called Luminweld, but it is more akin to soldering than welding.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

I have something similar to that in a drawer around the shop somewhere. Never really tried to use it though. It was in one of Dad's truck boxes for years and the packaging puts it manufactured sometime in the '70s . I have been saving it for an emergency repair...

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-05-2009, 01:19 AM

I've played around with it a few times back in the day when I welded occasionally.

I think I had some 3/8" plate I was playing around on, and it seemed like it might have been a bit thin. The welding blind part is mighty true... I think it's even worse than welding through heavy galvanized (smells better tho), and you gotta move FAST. I'd guess at least 2-3 times as fast as a normal 7018 rod.

I'm no expert welder, but that stuff made me look like I've never welded a day in my life.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:38 AM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default Aluminum Brazing Rod

There's a lot of the stuff around. check this one:

http://www.cisoldit4u.com/alumaloy.htm

and this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9d1AroXR4

But don't buy the stuff from them. It's expensive! Look on Ebay or Craig'slist.
There's a lot of it around.

I have been welding aluminum with my MIG machine and a spoolgun and it's no picnic on thin stuff. You're always a hair away from a melt thru. I don't know if the resulting welds are very strong but I'm sure they'd make a nice waterproof patch. I'd use a big sheet of copper to back up the weldment (the boat) and make a lap joint with the repair sheet. (I wouldn't try to weld to the edges of the hole or you might just wind up with a bigger hole).

This is with MIG and Spoolgun. Of course if you really want to do it right you have to go to TIG.

I've never done any TIG myself but I've watched the videos and it's fairly awesome. I watched Expert Welding Instructor Ron Covell literally weld two sheets of aluminum foil together with TIG! See his video 'TIG Welding Basics'.

I hope some of this is helpful. Good Luck

DrBob
Old 03-10-2009, 07:37 AM
The Real Deal

Yep I would definitely not try the boat with stick! I once welded a aluminum boat for a local resort with a torch, everything was going fine but when ever I removed the heat from the weld I was holding the torch in the same spot and suddenly a half inch hole appeared about four inches from the crack. The resort owner wasn't impressed but I got the hole filled in.
Another time our engineers designed a aluminum sewer grate that was too large to fit into a man hole so I had to cut it in half and weld it back together in the sewer. I went to the welding store wanting 1/8" rod but all they had was 5/32" so I took it back to the job started to weld. Not good I was making a hell of a mess trying to weld the 1/4" plate when I discovered that I had to preheat Once I figured that out things went excellent and was glad that the welding store was out of 1/8" rod.