Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Posted by Platypus20:I have left them (various models of Speedglas helmets) in an unheated service van...
Really. Hmmm. I've done it before, but it seemed like it didn't darken as quickly as it should when I would use it. Or maybe I'm imagining things Probably imagining.

Quote:
Posted by Whitetrash:What kind of battery life can I expect. Before I need to have a spare around
My originals made it 7+ years before replacement. But, that 7 years wasn't all full time welding. The owners manual that came w/ mine gave a an estimated life expectancy for the batteries in hours, but I don't remember what it was or know where it is in my ever growing pile of crap.

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan

Last edited by trukfan; 03-07-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Big Iron

The only heat that my Speedglas sees is the heater in the truck.
it works fine in my uheated shop, which will get down to 5 degrees in the winter.
I haven't needed to use it in any subzero weather, so I can't say much there.

It doesn't seem to fog up as easy as my flip front hood.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-footn View Post
Lol, I chuckled at this one, as even wearing my pancake hood, my belly still caught the molten ball of fire a few weeks ago. The big bb rolled past my collar burning my neck, but I didn't flinch. The red trail of molten bb burned my chest on its' downward path, but I didn't flinch. It was when the molten metal reached my belt that it made the impression that made me do the strip-tease, and my helper commenced to laugh his azz off at me as I did the crazy dance.
LOL. Thanks for the update

I put an old helmet in the fire the other day when incinerating junk. The next day I was aghast to find the helmet still there and looking good until I touched it and realized it was just the glass mat that was left.
I have a big spot on the lower edge of my Miller Elite that is just gone because I flipped it up and leaned forward to look over my pop bottles to inspect for slag (practice for test) and just touched the hot metal with the helmet. Evaporated in no time at all. No mat or any other form of protection, just plastic.

"I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Old 03-07-2009, 10:52 PM

I have melted the flip front hinge off of my Jackson hoods from getting to close to my work. I have warped the plastic cover plates over my filter plate from tig welding toward myself. But I have never had anything melt through my plastic Jackson hoods.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:03 PM
The Real Deal

12 years on my speedglas with no problem it has been kicked, dropped stepped on, sat on dropped down a elevator shaft into water and it still worked tho it was momentarily confused for a short time.