Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-28-2019, 02:00 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

That's looking AMAZING!!! I'm excited!

I'm torn on the idea of the C clamps though. I can see how it'd be helpful, but like you say there's never a way to tell if they'll be wide enough. It might just work though so I'll wait to see what you have in mind. Their primary purpose would be to act as a "safety" of sorts, as well as leveling out the pressure. I use the 600# rated squeeze grip clamp to get it started and then use one of Cutter's Wilton welding clamps to stabilize it now. In the past I have blown the clamps apart by the amount of spring pressure that gets built up in the spongey foam. When you release the squeeze clamp, shit goes flying. The C clamps would remedy that risk greatly.

Sorry to be so late in giving any input, we got back from Vegas yesterday about noon. I haven't been on the computer since Wednesday afternoon, so I've got a lot to catch up on!

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Lubrication Consultant

cool I'll get more done later on tonight and get more pics for ya

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 05-28-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
cool I'll get more done later on tonight and get more pics for ya
Looks good want to see where this goes from here.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:16 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
Looks good want to see where this goes from here.
well, I intended on doing more tonight but have run into a brain fart I need to get with Dubby on before I start welding any tabs or c-clamp brackets on it.
I know the C-clamp idea will work but I need to be sure of spacing.
when the material is in the press how much of space will there be, as these are only 4" C-clamps and I think that is a problem and might need larger C-clamps in order to work properly, I might end up needing to make the c-clamps due to the cumbersome size of store bought c-clamps...

and appearance is something I would like it to be clean looking once done with the functionality

Sort of like if it were a paper being graded I would like it to be no less than a B- but am shooting more for an A+ in design and the important aspect of it being functional... so if I can have both I will be happy with it. which means Dubby, will be, happy too!

I have no doubts the functionality is there... but I do want it to look as good as it works... in design appearance. yes, I have Issues

Dubby PM sent

Old 05-29-2019, 05:52 AM
Elite Member

Suggestion, instead of a c-clamp, would a swiveling bolt work better. Not sure if your final design, but I think I you took a piece of threaded rod, and welded a piece of round rod on one end like a tee, and then had a big wing nut to tighten with, Might work good. A couple pieces of strap around the tee end to hold the bolts onto one side, and another notched piece of flat stock welded to the other side. Maybe even use another piece of round stock drilled for a round washer, for the nut to tighten against, so it would have easier time as the taco is wide to start the pressing.

I hope you get the idea I am trying to describe.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-29-2019, 06:47 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
You Silly wabbit I mean duck, That's for making tortillas before you make the Tacos...

Excellent point, I always end up with half the contents falling out when I bite
down on said taco, pre-pressing would keep everything in place.

A service that should help "Taco Bell" greatly I should think.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:09 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Suggestion, instead of a c-clamp, would a swiveling bolt work better. Not sure if your final design, but I think I you took a piece of threaded rod, and welded a piece of round rod on one end like a tee, and then had a big wing nut to tighten with, Might work good. A couple pieces of strap around the tee end to hold the bolts onto one side, and another notched piece of flat stock welded to the other side. Maybe even use another piece of round stock drilled for a round washer, for the nut to tighten against, so it would have easier time as the taco is wide to start the pressing.

I hope you get the idea I am trying to describe.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
I sure do been thinking of ways o do something very similar or alike to what you are talking about...

Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I've got a couple projects lined up for later this afternoon and was way too busy to even breathe yesterday. Today isn't looking much better, but Randall I sent you my phone number in a PM. Feel free to call anytime!

The press as it stands now is 3.5" when it's fully closed. That's 2" of foam and 2 layers of MDF board. The first "hit" on the clamp has to be fast, that's why I use the squeeze grip clamp. I'd say the first application of the 2nd clamp is somewhere in the 4.5" range (just a guess). However, taking into consideration that the metal plates on the new one are substantially thinner, a 4" clamp might just work.

And for the SFT record, Randall has already gone above and beyond what I envisioned for this project, lol. And he keeps going! I basically asked for the two side plates welded to a bottom plate. The cleaning, painting, and other finishing details are all his own persistence to put out a good finished product. I'm enjoying seeing what he's come up with and I hope he's having as much fun as he wants with this thing. I know in the end I'm already getting way more than I asked for!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taco-1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	150958   Click image for larger version

Name:	taco-3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	150959  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 05-29-2019, 12:39 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I've got a couple projects lined up for later this afternoon and was way too busy to even breathe yesterday. Today isn't looking much better, but Randall I sent you my phone number in a PM. Feel free to call anytime!

The press as it stands now is 3.5" when it's fully closed. That's 2" of foam and 2 layers of MDF board. The first "hit" on the clamp has to be fast, that's why I use the squeeze grip clamp. I'd say the first application of the 2nd clamp is somewhere in the 4.5" range (just a guess). However, taking into consideration that the metal plates on the new one are substantially thinner, a 4" clamp might just work.

And for the SFT record, Randall has already gone above and beyond what I envisioned for this project, lol. And he keeps going! I basically asked for the two side plates welded to a bottom plate. The cleaning, painting, and other finishing details are all his own persistence to put out a good finished product. I'm enjoying seeing what he's come up with and I hope he's having as much fun as he wants with this thing. I know in the end I'm already getting way more than I asked for!
Thanks for all the info and for the appreciation ... I'll get back on it after I return from doctors this evening... and try to have some more update pic sometime tomorrow.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:15 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Ok, Sorry I did not get to do more to the press as had planned on. running to doctors apt last two days all day thing around here don't ya know