Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-23-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post
I would suggest a good quality hand shear like a Wiss brand, or a throatless shear.

I've wanted a throatless shear for a while but no used Beverlys have showed up that I can afford. I am tempted to try one of the cheaper imports.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I've wanted a throatless shear for a while but no used Beverlys have showed up that I can afford. I am tempted to try one of the cheaper imports.
I've had no issues with my cheap import... works just fine for occasional use
had it for a year or so maybe longer although it does actually see a little more than occasional use.

I do not know how it would stand up to a daily all day use though...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 01-23-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I've had no issues with my cheap import... works just fine for occasional use
had it for a year or so maybe longer although it does actually see a little more than occasional use.

I do not know how it would stand up to a daily all day use though...
Mine would be for occasional use.......which one did you get?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:47 PM
Made From Scratch

Drill a bunch of small holes to at least hit your intersections and then finish with a jigsaw and files.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
the one from HF tools just a little over a hundred bucks at the time i don't know what they are now most likely the same or cheaper

I just checked its still the same 139 here is the item number Item #38413 you can get an online 20% off coupon gets a little knocked off

Old 01-23-2018, 11:13 PM

thanks for all the responses, tried using a jigsaw once on a similar project and after several minutes of the sheet metal vibrating the hell out of me, I threw in the towel. did a some research after my post, and purchased a nibbler on ebay which you can attach to your drill. I'll give it a shot and post my attempts with it.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 AM
Post Fiend

Not exactly in the traditional line of thought but I bought these shears when I built my shop. I’m nothing but impressed with them. I’d think they could get you close to your final shape.

https://m.harborfreight.com/14-gauge...not%20provided

Rated for 14 gauge.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:50 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
bigb, I bought one of the same Harbor Freight shears over ten years ago.
There had been quite a bit of discussion here about them and some questions that needed answering so I also posted a little review of mine.
There is also a second link within the link.

At that time, there was also a story circulating that the cutting edges of the blades were prone to chipping but that the replacement blades, also sold by Harbor Freight, were okay. As reported in my thread, I found that to be true and I also used my experience to educate the store management (at that time) about it. As I also reported, he replaced my blades for free and I've had no more problems. I've also read that this problem has evidently been resolved.

While I've never used it extensively, it has been a fine little bench tool for the price. It just sits there for months at time but has given me no problems at all for the last 10 or 11 years. I will say that I believe 1/8th inch thickness to be its practical upper limit.

You will notice that I posted my review on my own web space and I used some embedded images, combined with attachments.
The reason for that is that we were having severe server problems at the time, before markttu took over hosting SFT for us. Mark also hosts cutterod.com for me so you won't actually be bouncing around the internet to read my post there.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 01-24-2018, 08:39 AM

Thanks Cutter, that is a ton of useful information. I too had heard about the replacement blades, however they don't seem to be available anymore. The blades were my biggest concern and has me looking at other brands such as the Eastwood, which claims blades made from T10 tool steel (hopefully tempered properly) and they sell replacement blades on their site. It's $40 more than the $139 base price that the HF tool sells for today.

Thanks again for the research you did, I am sure I'll make a decision here soon.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Thanks Cutter, that is a ton of useful information. I too had heard about the replacement blades, however they don't seem to be available anymore. The blades were my biggest concern and has me looking at other brands such as the Eastwood, which claims blades made from T10 tool steel (hopefully tempered properly) and they sell replacement blades on their site. It's $40 more than the $139 base price that the HF tool sells for today.

Thanks again for the research you did, I am sure I'll make a decision here soon.
The Eastwood is a bit less in cost and has a larger throat than HF's so maybe the Eastwood is the better buy.

I came across this and I'm thinking i might buy one just to check it out, its an attachment for a impact drill looks like a stout shear
made by Dewalt if nothing else it will be one of the tools ideas that get put in to a cabinet and forgotten till a brain fart comes up for something it will work perfectly for besides extra boat anchor weights
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dewalt-DWASHRIR_3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	143169