Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Auction Addict

Sorry to disappoint you all, but I was busy all day cutting up scrap wood so I would have heat in the shop. Cold front coming in tomorrow with lows from 2F to -17F for the next 4 days. Maybe one of those days I can get some time to demo the bending jig.

First thing is to make a diamond shaped frame from 1x1/8 flat bar for a project for the missus. Gonna make a tree inside the painted frame from pieces of stainless rod so she can hang it in a tree.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Curmudgeon

Then you can touch up the paint on your bending jig.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 AM
Lord of the Minions

Looking forward to the final results and 'action' work.

Nice............

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Auction Addict

Finally got out of the minus temps today so went into the shop and did the bends. I was looking for a diamond shape slightly elongated. 12" between bends. Turned out what I wanted. Still have to weld the joint.

Used only the 3/8" posts to do the bends as I wanted a wide radius. Then some stainless rounds bent to make a tree inside the diamond. Supposed to get in the 55 by Monday. Yeah, mud now!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1201.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	137383   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1202.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	137384  

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Auction Addict

I will flap sand the steel frame after welding. Is Rustoleum the best paint for outdoors to keep the steel frame from rusting?

Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-08-2017, 12:56 PM
Auction Addict

After pondering this a bit, I was wondering if anyone has used a clear coat that will hold up in the outside sun?

Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Da Chief

I used a PPG automotive clear coat on the brass radiator piping on my bracket dragster. Very strong anti UV inhibitor has held up 8 years now. just now starting to "brown out".

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 01-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Da Chief

I used a PPG automotive clear coat on the polished brass radiator piping on my bracket dragster. Very strong anti UV inhibitor has held up 8 years now. just now starting to "brown out".

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 01-21-2017, 07:12 PM
Auction Addict

On the same subject, decided today was the time to build another bending jig. This one goes in the receiver hitch on the Dodge. I have needed to straighten long sections of 1" pipe and such and a vise on a heavy base still is not enough leverage sometimes.

I expect the Dodge won't move like the vise does. It is standard 2" tube with 3/4" grade 8 bolts for heavier stuff than the earlier bending jig with 1/2" studs. I added a heavy tack on the head of the bolt on one side so they don't fall out, but easy to remove on case I mangle them.

No paint this time. It will just set inside the shop somewhere where I can find it, I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1208.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	137534   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1209.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	137535   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1210.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	137536  

Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by milomilo; 01-23-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:13 PM
Auction Addict

After some more thought, I think I need to make a couple bushings for smaller material. Think I will also add another 5/8" hole 90* from the original lock pin hole so I can bend up and down as well as from side to side.

Woodrow Wilson