Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	136833   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	136834  
Old 12-02-2016, 01:00 PM

Ted,

Nice work heavy duty, enjoy seeing projects with such mass. What's the welder being used, is there a sub station in the back yard?

Greg
Old 12-02-2016, 01:54 PM
The Real Deal

Thank's No sub station, the welder 250 amp Miller running .045 dual shield with straight CO2
Old 12-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for sharing. It is not often I would need a toe jack, but when you do, it would be worth its weight in gold. You have given me some incentive to try building something similar. This would be a much better approach than some of the down right scary alternatives I have come up with in the past.

If you don't mind when time permits, could you please post a photo of the clamp shown in your first set of photos (number 4 I believe ). It looks like a very handy clamp to have around a shop. I am trying to figure out if the arm that is hidden under the table is similar to a Bessy "L" clamp. Also did you purchase the clamp functioning the way it is now, or modify some Vise Grip clamps...........thanks.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 PM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Thanks for sharing. It is not often I would need a toe jack, but when you do, it would be worth its weight in gold. You have given me some incentive to try building something similar. This would be a much better approach than some of the down right scary alternatives I have come up with in the past.

If you don't mind when time permits, could you please post a photo of the clamp shown in your first set of photos (number 4 I believe ). It looks like a very handy clamp to have around a shop. I am trying to figure out if the arm that is hidden under the table is similar to a Bessy "L" clamp. Also did you purchase the clamp functioning the way it is now, or modify some Vise Grip clamps...........thanks.
Well it is a handy clamp but it looks like they are no longer made anywhere that I could find. Here is a pic of two of them that sold on e bay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vice gripes.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	136902  
Old 12-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Well it is a handy clamp but it looks like they are no longer made anywhere that I could find. Here is a pic of two of them that sold on e bay
They look like a pretty simple mod to an existing C clamp?

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 01-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
1 Turned top for the ram that slides on

2 Made the lifting arm from 1/2" T-1 steel

3 Done except for springs maybe someday

4 Ready to lift
I see they put your toe jack on homemadetools.net

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 01-26-2018, 06:01 PM
trust but verify

I didn't know the visegrip trademark owners stopped making them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
They look like a pretty simple mod to an existing C clamp?
You could split a C-clamp then install the flat bar and a slider, but I'd modify a visegrip instead to what you see in the pic and tack ~4" bar a across the adjustment knob for extra leverage. Once you T-bar your visegrips you won't miss the knob and besides saving your hands the T-bar allows MUCH more force to be applied installing or removing the visegrip.
Another handy way to use those clamps it clamping the end of the flat bar in your vise.

I like those toe jacks even more now. The return springs were a fine time saving idea.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Lord of the Minions

With a Toe Jack, you only know you've ever needed one when the situation arises to where it gets used and you would have had nothing else without fret and worry to deal with.

Well done on the build. Nice.

Now here's the rub I find with screw type clamps or visegrip type clamps. Seems no one but me can use one without over-stressing it's single ability. At work I'd bet money you would not find once c-clamp without it's tee rod for twisting is not bent to the point where it will not slide through it's attach hole. sigh. 2" to 24", bitches be bent to shit. Same with our table vises. Seems like a hammer or cheater is needed to grip on Al.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!