Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-09-2018, 06:05 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 11,830
Default

I used to use a dynabrade, nothing else was made available to me.

Kind of thought it felt like a club in my hand.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Wolfram's Avatar
Wolfram Wolfram is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Where did you get the zirconium belts for .85 each?
Lehigh Valley Abrasives is one good source. Here are some 40 grit for 83¢ each:

<http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/coated-abrasives-1-2-x-18-zirconia-dynafile-belt-pkg-qty-10-40-grit-zp-dynabrade-79030-dyn79030>
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:41 PM
platypus20's Avatar
platypus20 platypus20 is offline
Boiler God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: camillus, ny (syracuse)
Posts: 9,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Where did you get the zirconium belts for .85 each? I have a 1/2" X 18" air belt sander but it's not a Dynabrade.
I get mine from a local industrial supplier, I hope Wolfram and others, have good luck with Lehigh, everything I ever got from them was crap.
__________________
jack
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2018, 02:51 PM
bigb bigb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I get mine from a local industrial supplier, I hope Wolfram and others, have good luck with Lehigh, everything I ever got from them was crap.
I did order from Lehigh once and I was really looking forward to the stuff but when I received it I was disappointed. Their cutting and grinding wheels and flap discs to me looked like Harbor Freight ones with different labels.My favorite cutting wheels are Pferd although I have some PFX which are pretty good.

My last belt and disc sanding products I ordered from Supergrit and I am very pleased with them but I didn't have my 1/2" Dynabrade knockoff at the time. My favorite cutting wheels are Pferd although I have some PFX which are pretty good.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 19,668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Went to Napa, to get a case of the red CRC Brak-Kleen, they rang it up and
said it was about $84 or about $7 a can, I asked to speak to the manager,
and asked if that was really correct, he looked gasped, said no and reran the
sale and it came out to $45, plus tax. Much better.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...s-cleaner.html
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-10-2018, 05:03 PM
platypus20's Avatar
platypus20 platypus20 is offline
Boiler God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: camillus, ny (syracuse)
Posts: 9,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
no farm and fleet for 800 miles.
__________________
jack
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2018, 07:01 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 11,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
no farm and fleet for 800 miles.
You really need to go find one.....

I stopped in a "Blains Farm & Fleet" in Champaign Ill. and it was great.

Much better than Tractor supply.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Wolfram's Avatar
Wolfram Wolfram is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I get mine from a local industrial supplier, I hope Wolfram and others, have good luck with Lehigh, everything I ever got from them was crap.
Well, the 83¢ belts I linked to are supposedly Dynabrade brand. I never used Dynabrade brand belts...are they crap?

Supergrit/Klingspor is great for woodworking abrasives, but I've had mixed results buying metalworking abrasives from them.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:40 AM
platypus20's Avatar
platypus20 platypus20 is offline
Boiler God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: camillus, ny (syracuse)
Posts: 9,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Well, the 83¢ belts I linked to are supposedly Dynabrade brand. I never used Dynabrade brand belts...are they crap?

Supergrit/Klingspor is great for woodworking abrasives, but I've had mixed results buying metalworking abrasives from them.
The stuff I got that was crap was labeled Lehigh Valley, their house brand. The other stuff, I don’t know.
__________________
jack
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:49 AM
platypus20's Avatar
platypus20 platypus20 is offline
Boiler God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: camillus, ny (syracuse)
Posts: 9,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I did order from Lehigh once and I was really looking forward to the stuff but when I received it I was disappointed. Their cutting and grinding wheels and flap discs to me looked like Harbor Freight ones with different labels.My favorite cutting wheels are Pferd although I have some PFX which are pretty good.

My last belt and disc sanding products I ordered from Supergrit and I am very pleased with them but I didn't have my 1/2" Dynabrade knockoff at the time. My favorite cutting wheels are Pferd although I have some PFX which are pretty good.

I prefer the trimable flap wheels, like Walter, Plantex (the current best value, to me, in flap wheels) and a few others, I don’t like the ones with the woven backing plate. In hard wheels, I use either Walter or Sait.
__________________
jack
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.