Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-28-2018, 12:45 AM
Elite Member

We've got chlorinated city water in our neck of the woods. I have installed an under sink filter several years ago, but before the filter was installed it would help to let the water sit a bit before taking a drink.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:22 AM
One Lone Sub

Reverse Osmosis
Old 01-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Reverse Osmosis
We are on well water. It does have a lot of calcium in it. We use a under sink reverse osmosis system for the house drinking,coffee water. Only have to change filters once a year.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 01-29-2018, 01:04 AM
Elite Member

I hadn't considered boiling as a way to drive off the chlorine, but boiling and letting it cool would quickly end up the way the charcoal filter jug is now......there never seems to be quite enough when we need it.

If I can I will go to the plumbing supply on the way in tomorrow and see what they have. On the plus side I get a discount which helps.

The city is to get chlorine from March. Lot of people won't be happy about that as the water is currently of very high quality. They are saying it will be for 12 months, but the cost of repairing pipes will always be too high and the chlorine will be seen as cheap and easy.

Lets not even get started on making the ones who are polluting the water change their ways.....
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:01 AM
Da Chief

Keep in mind, boiling will kill bacteria and most viruses, but, will also concentrate minerals and random petroleum contaminants. Flavor may improve slightly , mostly from the aeration that occurs when transferring the cooled water from the pot to a storage container. stand time will allow the solids, left over dead bacteria and mineral solids, to gravity select out. Pouring thru a common paper coffee filter will help with clarity issues as well.

I carry portable, personal, RO systems when I go afield, just for the event that I burn thru the water I carry with me, or break down in a remote area. (we have lots of water here in South West Floriduh, just not a lot of it is potable)

I've had a couple of long walks, in the dark, (I know what fish and gators do in swamp water, so I like to filter out the chunklets, before drinking it...

Not much help for the home system, but I need to keep my head in the game.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:18 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I was thinking of this system. I have a 30 liter/day one that I picked up at the dump fully functional.

You would have lots of water, it does not boil but heats and condenses steam, and I think the house would have a chlorine smell when it was working.

We used it when one of our kids decided he did not like the taste of our water. Now it is a plant stand.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-29-2018, 11:16 AM
Da Chief

Yea Gerry, one of my friends put that exact model in his hunting cabin, out in the boonies. It worked OK, he added a holding tank, so there was always 200 gallons or so of sweet water on hand. It's now in it's own little building, with the 25 K diesel generator. (the local opinion is that he has way more money than common sense, but we all go to his "weekend in the woods" parties, they are, after all, legendary)

Another friend uses one of those countertop gravity ceramic units, Kinda like a real RO without the pumps and such. It's slow, 12-14 gallons a day, but this summer, the plan is to rig a holding cistern and an auto fill, float valve and some kind of auto backwash system. (that could take several cases of good beer, some good scotch, and a new blanket for the poker table...but it sure beats hauling' them square 5 gal. bottles.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?