Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Curmudgeon

Gimpy, that gear is not a part of the 101.7301 lathe; it's from a 109.xxx which is a different breed of cat.
None of mine from the 101 headstock nor the change gears have that offset configuration.

Nor, thank God, are they that worn out.
I do not believe I would buy that gear. Hover your mouse over the picture to show the large image; see the wear on the teeth?
They look about like my used-up original dentures.

However, there is another suggestion on that same ebay page, a Southbend 20 tooth gear offered by Antfarm200.

His name is Warren and I have done business with him.
He is very experienced at parting out and re-selling the small Atlas lathes.
I recommend him highly and suggest you contact him to discuss your problem. Chances are pretty good that he can find you a gear in much better condition than the one you're looking at.
For that matter, the South Bend gear looks almost exactly like the 20J so you might ask him about that.

Warren is not cheap but he is honest and he sells good merchandise.

I did a screenshot of the Southbend gear. You can see that it lacks the second keyway & of course, the dimensions might be all wrong but look at the difference in the wear as contrasted with the one you posted, which I've also saved and attached.
Also, look at Antfarm's feedback. Perfect feedback on 9452 transactions is hard to beat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antfarm_gear.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	94952   Click image for larger version

Name:	vintagesound_gear.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	94953  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 09-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Elite Member

I did see the wear on the gear, and I did see that gear from Antfarm, but it has that raised section I would have to mill off. I will contact him with pics of my broken gear and see if he has anything to offer or advise. I know that gear is not from an Atlas lathe, but I doubt the QCGB is Atlas either, and thats where the gear came from.

After I posted a link to that auction, I realized I had missed out on it, so I have some time to look around!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Elite Member

Well, I was helping move some stuff for the brother today. I ran across two boxes of tooling for the lathe. They contained MANY reamers, the milling attachment(needs work), a bunch of end mills, boring bars, taper attachment, faceplate with multiple dogs, 4 jaw chuck, a steady rest with bearings instead of brass bars, and some other stuff. Yeah!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

Well after stopping at some "belt and transmission" places around the area, it was decided that there would be no easy and cheap way to get this gear. I was told one could be made for a LOT of money, that wasn't going to happen. So I decided to look on Ebarf once more. I'm not sure what I typed in the search, but this time I found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221126636949...84.m1439.l2649

I counted 20 teeth on the gear and decided to take a shot in the dark. I bought it and it showed up yesterday. PERFECT FIT!!!!

It is not the exact same as one side has a minor raised area on one side, but the rest is perfect. I will install it this week and let you know how it does.

So its posted, it looks like the gear number is "3231".
Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Curmudgeon

Super.
How is the wear on the teeth?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Elite Member

Well, it is used, but the teeth seem to be pretty good. Now that I know what I am looking for, I will keep an eye out for a perfect one. This will allow me to run it through its paces and see how the "home brew" QC gearbox works.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:20 AM

Default Craftsman 101.07031 Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBall2 View Post
I have a copy from Ozark Woodworker. Those aren't very clean copies, you can see the back side of the page on them.

I wonder if the tumbler gears are set correctly. If the reverse tumbler doesn't drop down enough, both gears could possibly engage on the spindle gear.

Another way to check is to slide the gear quadrant out of the way & see if you can turn the gear box without turning the spindle.
Go to vintagemachinery.org to download the four page instruction sheets and parts list for that lathe. While you're at it download the 15 page Atlas 618 instruction book and parts list. Lots more legible.

You may be able to purchase the Atlas "Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinist's Tables" from Clausing. $25.00, last I heard. Well worth it, even if you didn't own an Atlas.

Tom

Sorry, wrong number in the header. how about 101.07301?

Last edited by park city tom; 07-30-2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: error
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Elite Member

I have looked around that site a couple times now. I guess I am LD as I am unable to find any manuals that pertain to my machinery. The most I got was "recent" manuals added and "last 50" manuals added. I didn't see anywhere there was a complete list to look through. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Elite Member

Thank you for the PM help Tom, I found it!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:28 AM

Default 98 pound Weakling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Oh yeah. That's what my little Charlie is.
This is a toy lathe but I've been surprised at what you can persuade one to do if you're patient and kind to it.

But they came with a set of change gears, not a QC gear box.
Someone must have tried to graft one onto it, either successfully or maybe they didn't get it finished?

Did you get a manual with it?
With correctly ground cutters, centered on the work, and taking your time it will do any job that will fit. Not bad for a 100 lb.shipping weight, including a crappy pallet.

The closest I've come to doing my Craftsman 101.21400 harm in 30 years involved an over-greedy interrupted facing cut. This was when it was new, and it resulted in the bull gear lock pin hole getting a bit ya-ya. I tightened up the detent ball against the pin and carried on.

IMHO, Atlas created one hell of a 98 pound weakling.

Tom

P.S. For information on cutting tool angles for small lathes, look at MachinistBlog.com.