Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 PM

Default Bushing Clearance

Good evening all......I am a newbee, and it has been a long time since I have done any "real machining". I am doing a job (neighbor) that had a steel pin through steel bushings, that are worn......I want to have the "pin" turned, and instal bronze bushings. My question is , if I have a 1" I.D. hole, what size O.D bushing would I use? Any help is appreciated........Thanks....Don
Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 PM
That HURT!

Welcome aboard Don.
I think we need alittle bit more information about the application of the pin/bushing.

Does the pin rotate 360* in the bushing?
How fast does it turn?
How much load does the pin carry?

The more info you can provide the better we may be able to help you.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 AM

Good morning, and thank you Mac ! Sorry I didn't add that.....it is the center pivot pin,for the steering, on a Ford tractor. It will act just like a "king pin", rotating less than 180 deg., but with no weight load on it. The "hole" where the bushing will fit, as close as I can measure, is 1.495", and I am thinking of having the "pin" turned to 1.440". I'm sure I can have the pin turned more, to have a thicker wall bushing, then find the bushings .? Thanks, Don
Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

I'm not sure how this is configured but for now I'll assume that the centre pivot turns on a pin that is held in two bosses in the housing. Unless all the holes are worn you're going to have to fit the pin to the existing holes in the housing aren't you? Now this could be set up the other way with the pin fixed in the centre pivot and rotating in the housing but either way you're likely to have an existing hole you have to fit.

The "correct" way to fix this--assuming that the wear is in the pivoting part--is to bore it out and machine up a bushing which will fit the existing pin size. If you don't have the capability of doing this then you'll have to bush all 3 holes and use an undersize pin. You could also use a stepped pin where one end is the original size and the centre and opposite end are undersize...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 PM

Thank you, Keith. Although I am capable of doing the machine work, I do not have access to them, so I will get a cost for undercutting the pin, as opposed to purchasing a new one. Something tells me that do to the labor rates of machine shops, plus all the running around, I might as well bite the bullet and order a new one. I think it is worse, knowing how to do it, and not being able to.....than not having the knowledge at all . Thank you for your advise, Don
Old 09-20-2011, 03:13 PM

What I do is bore the hole 1.250 then a stock bushing is 1.2515" 1/8 wall for a press fit and you can bore the bushing to 1.002" before hand and when it presses in its good, it may need reamed but maybe not.

Iv done it 1,000+ times.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Thank you Mike..............I will store those figures, that is what I was looking for. The oversize for the bushing to the hole, and the clearance for the pin . Thank you all for your help..........Don
Old 09-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Voice of Experience

Sounds like you want a running fit. Refer to machinerys handbook in the interference fit tables.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..