Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
make you two pieces of chain with the style of flat lip hooks like used on ratchet straps and use a ratcheting boomer to just enough pull on it so to slide it out of the center with...
Yes, this would work well if I was cutting a piece that is near 1/2 the circumference. When cutting a full circumference I would not have any edge on which to place the hooks.

I was thinking of a variation of this method where I could tack weld two eye shaped anchors to each end and draw them together with a turnbuckle.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:48 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Yes, this would work well if I was cutting a piece that is near 1/2 the circumference. When cutting a full circumference I would not have any edge on which to place the hooks.

I was thinking of a variation of this method where I could tack weld two eye shaped anchors to each end and draw them together with a turnbuckle.
Ah, I see forgive my annoyance the thought of full circumference did not register in the moment of imagining a good how-to idea...
GWhiz, was no doubt more on track sinching it fully...
I would then suggest small winch cable but, If nylon straps fray it won't poke or cut the crap out of ya like a cable, cable is as likely to fray a nylon strap...
So now that I slit my own wrist here, I'll go stand in the corner and bleed

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!

Last edited by MetalWolf; 02-05-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Elite Member

I cut another piece from the center. This time I prevented the cut end from getting pinched. I was able to pull it free by holding on to two locking pliers. I suppose ten years from now I may not have the strength or stamina to do this as it was not easy.

I also cut off a 24" piece on the vertical saw. This too was not easy. This was made difficult by the curve of the sheet. The sheet required constant support from underneath to keep the cutting zone close to the table surface. I was whooped after fifty inches.

After cutting I tack welded the now 24" wide piece back on to the roll and rolled over it backwards. I did this in an attempt to straighten the sheet but it fell a bit short. It was a great improvement but it still slightly curved, I think it will be enough for this job.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
No no, you strap the piece you are removing and compress its diameter, that is after you pull it out some. protect the strap with some 5/8" rubber heater hose.
After removing four pieces from the center I have decided this is the best basic approach. However instead of a strap I used a cable puller.

I will in the future proceed with a slight variation. I plan next time to tack weld a strap to the ends of the cut out piece. This will keep the piece from flinging out uncontrollably as it leaves the roll. I will then take it outdoors and cut the strap.

Another option is to take the entire roll outside and simply pull the sheets out with my truck or tractor. I would consider this only if I had several pieces to remove, not one or two.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post

And because of so many good ideas and advice on the subject, kind of makes me wish I had a roll of steel like he's got
There were two rolls like this at the scrap yard. I'm beginning to wish I bought the other roll as well.

This roll will nearly pay for itself on the first project I use it for. My hope is that this thread will prompt others to take advantage of a resource like this. I say steel like this should be repurposed not recycled. Shame on us for doing so.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:37 PM
no bull it's huge!

Just out of curiosity how much do the sheets spring out when released?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
There were two rolls like this at the scrap yard. I'm beginning to wish I bought the other roll as well.

This roll will nearly pay for itself on the first project I use it for. My hope is that this thread will prompt others to take advantage of a resource like this. I say steel like this should be repurposed not recycled. Shame on us for doing so.
I know what ya mean I ran across a deal a couple months back of some primed 4"x4"x16ga. tubing, there were two bundles each bundle was 4'x6'x24' they put them out for scrap due to a little surface rust but not any I would have worried about... could have got the bundles for 600 each bundle. But I figured id get a buddy to go in with me on both as I would get both for a better deal of a thousand and he said oh hell yeah and then never could get the funds so when
I called back to hold me a bundle they sold both and it sold within 3 hours of me leaving and not taking the bundle I wanted cause I was trying to share the deal... but it will come around again eventually one good deal or another...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dean View Post
Just out of curiosity how much do the sheets spring out when released?
In terms of percentage I would guess about 100.

I never measured the radius of the newly released pieces but I would guess them to be around 2-3 feet. The pieces shown below have been processed by muscle, there was a significant increase of the radius after doing so. I placed a tape scale on top of them and estimate the radius to be 4.5 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	149356  

Old 02-13-2019, 01:31 PM
no bull it's huge!

So that tells me there was bound to be some excitement if the bands were cut. I'm just as much of a scavenger as the next guy but I'm not sure I would want to deal with straightening the pieces out.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dean View Post
So that tells me there was bound to be some excitement if the bands were cut. I'm just as much of a scavenger as the next guy but I'm not sure I would want to deal with straightening the pieces out.
Yes, some excitement. As was mentioned by someone before, I think the roll would have quickly grown in size. If the roll was laying on the side one would need to watch out for the outer end as it would quickly move outward first looking for something to spank. I believe the energy would then be released consecutively to the inner convolutions of the roll. I would not want to do this in my small shop. Remember all steels are not alike and they don't behave in the same way. Your results may vary.

I plan to detail some of the things one would want or need if they decide to tackle something like this. A way to flatten the pieces is one of those things I am currently needing.

I found a video of a slip roll that was made by a Russian man. It was crudely made from scrap pieces of fairly lightweight steel. He was using it quite successfully to curve pieces very much like the ones I have. I have a slip roll project planned that is based off his design.