Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Yeah, I'll say--can't say I've ever heard of pull starting a dozer. Probably been done but Ive been around a lot of equipment and never seen it.
Then you haven't seen too much worn out junk. Dad has a 955 60A with a pony engine and a D4 from WWI. Brother had a 955k pedal steer and at anytime your lucky to get ONE to start. Not because the mechanic isn't willing to fix but because the owners aren't willing to put forth the money for parts.

Dads 4020 always starts. The pony in the 955 had a tough time starting and running after the crank broke. Sooooo the 4020 would start the 955. Yes a 10,000 pound tractor will start a 24,000 pound dozer. Forward or backward. Also you can pin the bucket and park it on a hill.

Back to the subject at hand. I've messed with several of these and the engines are always stiff and the poor old starters were barely up to the task when new. I'd clean the gas tank, I'd clean the carburetor and fuel lines, new plugs, hot battery, clean points and check wiring then I'd start it on diesel and see if the engines runs correctly and run it enough to get to temp and loosen up. If it pops and sputtered crack one fuel line at a time to determine what cylinder the issue is with.

When it has warmed up good on diesel switch to gas and note operation. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to try to fix a half running engine than it is one that will barely crank.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:03 PM

I pull start a FEL tractor by running the chain under the blade. when you start pulling it the blade will come up.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Yeah, I'll say--can't say I've ever heard of pull starting a dozer. Probably been done but Ive been around a lot of equipment and never seen it.
I have seen it, and once I saw a D4 pull started on the back of a flat deck by pulling the winch cable.
It almost was a failure but at the last 20 ft of cable on the drum and the addition of ether, it started.

I owned a TD14 that I bought when I was 17. It always seemed to start well, even when I had it in the Yukon.
If you have an issue on gas, I would take the time to go over everything, to ensure that when switched to gas, that things are as they should be.
Compression check will tell you a lot, and if you have spark from the mag, I would take a hard look at the carb. Updrafts are hard to flood an engine, but you should be able to get a spark plug wet if you crank with the choke on.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson