Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Welding lead size min and max length ?

I picked up a used lincoln Ranger 250 GXT The question is what size lead can I get away with, in length and gauge.

My current leads are
Stinger 160 ft.
ground 125 ft.
current lead diameter both stinger and ground is 3/0... 0.621 good for 385 amps...

They are extremely heavy and a total pain in the ass to wrap up I have no quick connects in line on either one but if I split one of them to make two leads
both a ground and stinger they will be too short so if I split one and then add a smaller easier lead cable to quick-connect to the shortened 3/0 lead what gauge should I go with to still get my 160 ft stinger and 100 ft ground

and what length would be pushing it on the L.R. 250 GXT

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 08-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Grumpy Bastard

https://www.iewc.com/-/media/iewcglo...ampacities.pdf

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ng-cables.aspx

When using the charts remember that it is total length of the welding circuit. So if you have 50 feet of working
lead and 50 feet of ground lead out, your total circuit is 100 feet. Use the 100 feet to determine the cable size
needed for you amps required.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 08-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Elite Member

One thing I did years ago on a welder at work, when I made a cart/ cage for it, to be able to load in the truck and go, was I built reels for the cables. I used quick connects with short leads to welder that I would plug into the reel after I unrolled however much cable I needed at that particular job. When done, unhook the short lead, and windup the cable. Made things much easier and less tangles for sure. The bigger the reels, the easier they wind.

I do remember someone saying that it is bad on the cables if you leave them rolled up and weld with them that way, but most of the time I was only burning 130 amps with 1/8” 7018, and I think the cables was 1/0 cable, about 150’ total most of the time.

It was cool to look at the cables wrapped up on a hook in the shop when someone was welding heavy. The cables would dance around when the arc was started.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 08-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Lubrication Consultant

So I should be good if I stay with the 3/0 or 000 cables lead both at 100ft. and just add a quick connect and 20ft of #2 lead cable according to the lincoln chart being I'm not burning more than 180 amps...

I believe I read the chart right but please correct me if I am wrong??

Old 08-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I'm not burning more than 180 amps...

I believe I read the chart right but please correct me if I am wrong??
3/0 cable will give you 300 feet of total length (work and ground combined)
at 200 amps 60% duty cycle. You have 285 feet of lead.

You're good! 2/0 cable would be on the light side for 180 amps.
(Adding 20 foot of 2/0 in the middle of the circuit is okay as well...)

BTW, if you are running 60% duty cycle with stick; you are one rod burning
muther fucker!!!

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 08-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
3/0 cable will give you 300 feet of total length (work and ground combined)
at 200 amps 60% duty cycle. You have 285 feet of lead.

You're good! 2/0 cable would be on the light side for 180 amps.
(Adding 20 foot of 2/0 in the middle of the circuit is okay as well...)

BTW, if you are running 60% duty cycle with stick; you are one rod burning
muther fucker!!!
Ron. No, I'm not burning that much rod. It's because I am having to weld around lots of dry brush and grass that my leads will have to span across
and I just want to make sure I don't have a lead cause a fire in the field where water is limited I have a portable fire set up 2... 300 gallon totes with a Hi pressure pump that delivers 200gpm. incase of.

this is only part of the reason I don't want too light of a lead cables and because I have seen guys run shit cables and too light of cable leads way too far in reach that has caused fires in fields and you know how it is when in the middle of a field with tall brush or grasses... If you don't pay attention to even the smallest fire it can trap you plus I only have me or on occasion, one ground crew guy and most of the time the ground crew guy is busy fucking off to realize hey there is a small fire or fire period until it's dam near out of control

I usually won't weld in a situation like that unless I can get them to mow/Shread a large area around the workplace but that alone still do guarantee anything being there is now mowed dried brush or grass laying around... but even then Ill wet the ground surrounding me roughly 20 feet or so where I might need to be cutting or where welding I know sparks are sure to drop...

I try to be a considerate and careful as one can.... cause it's me who is responsible if shit happens and the neighbor's place burns down... something some landowners don't take into consideration when planning the work area or time of year to kick off such work to be done...

Knock on wood I have never been responsible or the cause for such an incident and never want to be either... safety first!
But I have walked away from possible work... Because there was just no plain way to do anything safely... and just was not worth the risk for the money.

But the main reason I wanted to see what I could get away with was the 3/0 at 100ft. plus leads are a bit heavy nowadays to drape over my shoulder twenty 0r thirty ft. in the air on a lift or ladder... So I just wanted a short 20 ft 2/0 cable on the stinger to lighten up the weight some on my bad shoulder's and for more controllability while welding.

Mostly For what I'm doing 80 to 145 amps short weld time at most per weld.
180 amps will be just for welding the uprights to weld plates very short weld times.

but I have to have the reach to get to where I need to be.

plus I didn't want to stress this machine out any... its a decent machine and low hours for a used machine around here and I don't think it ever had more than in total a 40 ft. weld lead circuit on it.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Boiler God

Damn!! 3/0 leads!! Egads!!

I carry about 150’ of #4 welding lead, I have not welded above 125 amps with the stick welder in about the last 20+ yrs. About. 60% of what I do is in the 90-105 amp range, the rest is in the 60-75 amp range. The most used stick welder is the small Miller Maxstar 161S.