Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-17-2019, 02:18 AM
SFT Historian

May be too much EGR.

What else does not work "any thing"?

How well does it idle?

Had a Pontiac that had a shorted coolant sensor to ground the 5V computer voltage that feeds most of the sensors was cut in half.

idled fine until you gave it some gas.
At idle the TPS sees zero voltage but a little gas and the TPS needed the 5volts but it only got 2.5 volts.

In this case a seat belt sensor shorted to ground would have done the same.
so don't overlook something stupid. make a list of all things not working.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Ron.
Out of curiosity how did you determine the timing chain is not the issue ???

The timing chain doesn't have to jump a tooth... it can be, A stretched timing chain and that will cause the exact same problem... 99 to 01 were what we call gender years. Dodge screwed with all their better ideals and passed them along... and turned out it just made some issues worse...
I tore down the engine, timing marks still aligned but since I had a new
change and gears they all got replaced since I had every tore down. Same
problem persisted.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
May be too much EGR.

What else does not work "any thing"?

How well does it idle?

Had a Pontiac that had a shorted coolant sensor to ground the 5V computer voltage that feeds most of the sensors was cut in half.

idled fine until you gave it some gas.
At idle the TPS sees zero voltage but a little gas and the TPS needed the 5volts but it only got 2.5 volts.

In this case a seat belt sensor shorted to ground would have done the same.
so don't overlook something stupid. make a list of all things not working.
runs like shit at idle and worse when you give it gas, checked ref. voltage 5.1 volts.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-17-2019, 10:32 AM
SFT Historian

Can you get a voltage scan of the Oxygen sensor?

I'm siding with a Vacuum leak/stuck open EGR.

How strong it the spark?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Stuff, Just stuff

Does your scan tool have short term and long term fuel delivery trim data? The fuel data can go along with GWIZ questions.

When you saw your 5 volt ( if I remember correctly) at the ECM were you grounding at the connector at the distributor? And checking for 5 volts at the connector at the distributor?

I am kind of reaching here.

Scott
Old 03-17-2019, 11:04 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
runs like shit at idle and worse when you give it gas, checked ref. voltage 5.1 volts.
I think the 5v ref was good, in this case there were three 5V supplies in the computer.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Elite Member

Symptoms sound a bit like the ole potato in the exhaust pipe; the "bump then bad" comment would make me disconnect the exhaust just before the catastrophic cum squirter and see what changes...

Pretty sure most here know that too short on exhaust pipes will cause burned valves, so it should be a SHORT test if the only disconnect is within a couple feet of the heads.

Good luck... Steve
Old 03-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post

I'm going to list a few things to look for... or retrace in your mind during and after your re-building or repair. Things I have run across on the 99-01 Dodge trucks that have caused this issue.

Do the Ground wire upgrade kit?... there is an upgrade grounding kit available look at it online and make your own!

Does the engine sound like has an abnormal "air sucking noise" more so than, originally prior to it ever running like shit???
When you reinstalled the intake did you check the intake plate on the bottom? did it still have factory rivets or bolts holding it on believe it or not this is the cause of a many of 99-01 engine running problems that is the hardest to figure out! vacuum leak there requires more fuel and more spark and will cause erratic reading from the ECM...

Check, to be sure No.. wires have been pinched between the transmission and engine block after re-install...

Check, all connectors and look make sure no broken or loose, burned, corroded wires going, into all connectors. And that no prongs in sensors connections have been bent over while plugging back in...

Do you have any ABS codes coming up when scanning with the scan tool...
And if so are every and all of your dash gauges working ??
Yes, this sounds like a crazy question but we will get to that later IF need be...

Look for excessive side to side play in the distributor if it has a large amount of play it cannot read correctly... setting timing on these year models is no issue as it will automatical set the static timing it's self... you just need to be sure it is dropped in on TDC not a tooth off either way.

the other posters are on target with the suggestions to look into the hard part is back tracing all that has been done to a point just before it started acting up and what quirks it had prior are sometimes an indicator of the source

due to the ECM tells the fuel sys to do one thing because the ignition timing is telling the ECM to do this because of the o2 sensor said this because the TPI said this and the IAC said this...

S, it is figuring out what to read between those lines that count... every AZ that plugs into someone's vehicle comes out with... oh it's your o2 sensor when in reality it is a TPI or The EGR giving the o2 a false reading.

I rebuilt a 00 Dodge ram 318 did about a year ago that had very similar issues and ended up being the plate under the intake causing all the problem...
But was hard to trace as this one did not show all the usual signs of vacuum leaking, it would run well one minute and horrible the next...

Prior to me working on it she had it at the dealership several times and was told she needed a new engine because they could not find the issue...

Hope some of this will help in locating the source of your engine issues...

But I just got to give this one more little tech tip...

If it has an emblem on the front that says "DODGE".....
Well theirs your sign....

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-17-2019, 08:30 PM
Elite Member

I would try to find out what could cause the spark advance to go wonky. Seems like crank and cam sensor would be prime. I’d probably hookup a scope to the sensor outputs and the distributor advance to see if they correlate, but I wouldn’t necessarily know if they were “normal”.

I’d also check the fuel trims, MAF reading, and O2 sensor levels against “typical” readings. These readings may point out vacuum problems.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 PM
Elite Member

Does that engine have a knock sensor?