Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 PM
trust but verify

If it's all automotive work, a 180-ish MIG is ample for most of it and fits your budget.

Body shops buy heaps of them for good reason. The Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart are all well-known and supported. Plenty of good info on welding forums too. No three-phase to bother with and light enough to be easily portable.

Those machines have a fast payback time. A couple/three front end repairs and you'd have your money back. My buds old Lincoln 125 has made him thousands of dollars. He can carry it INSIDE the vehicles to hit awkward areas. He runs flux-core to avoid messing with cylinders and because it does well on some of the nasty metal he works on.

Size is key for that sort of work, unless you want to run a spoolgun or suitcase feeder which cost as much or more than the small MIGs. It's counterintuitive, but "small" rocks when you work on cars. You can always add a stick machine for heavier work or a bigger MIG purchased at leisure.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Gadget Girl

Hi guys just wanted to let you know I made it home safely and I'm beat. I'll post pic's and such tomorrow.

Boy do I have a story for you guys.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Co-founder, Harbor Freight 12 Step Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Hi guys just wanted to let you know I made it home safely and I'm beat. I'll post pic's and such tomorrow.

Jennifer, you are a terrible tease!

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. They can keep the change."
Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Jen
glad you are home in one piece... sounds like you had an adventure....

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:30 AM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Exclamation !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post

Jen
If it was a REALLY interesting story... you might consider posting it in the members only section.......

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Gadget Girl

Okay, I'm back again..

This is actually going to be and installment over a couple of posts.

Why you might ask.

Because it's a doozzy and a told yeah so..

My travel started at 9:10 am since I wanted plenty of time to drive up and this guy being a business guy seemed very hard to get a hold of.

After i talked with him on the phone 11am was agreed upon time.

This way I would miss all the commuter traffic and be home in time to miss the second wave.

Great start on the morning. I used my Iphone gps Tomtom app and it brought me right to the guys front door. A huge shop. one side maybe 120X100 connected to another maybe 120X200. with like 25ft ceilings.

Turns out he had like 50guys working for him doing bridge work before the economy went out the window and also has a welder/supply business.

The Esseti welders he had were direct imports from the guy who makes them. He personally knows the guy and also the guy who came up with the Binzel MIG gun. He had pictures of them having lunch in Italy. Looked like a great time of friends and food. (nice combo).

So I go to the front desk and ask if ---- is in ( I didn't ask him if it was okay to use his name) the secretary said oh, hi Jennifer I spoke with you on the phone. They had a nice young Germanshepard they had adopted. Was a rescue.

So, I meet the owner and I asked him a few questions as to the reliability of the machines, How you ended up with them, What he prefers. Blue, Red, Yellow or Black and then I see his shop.

There are 2 Esseti 500amp machines on the floor. and he leads me over to one. I asked if he like the Esseti's and he said that is all they are using right now and that they are one hell of a machine. He asked if I had welded before and would like to give it a try.

They were running 0.045 solid wire and he said he likes to get them dialed in using the amp dial and wire speed. Showed me how he does it and then said watch this. He had at some scrap on the table. and the welder just took off after all of it. Smooth as butter.

The dial was like a bank dial with a lock and then a tiny rev counter on the inside. This went to 14. The outside dial goes to 99.

I said sure I brought my helmet would he mind if I went and got it. Said go for it. He'd grab some scrap for me to weld on.

He brought back some 3/8" some 1/2" and some smaller maybe 1/8" Gave me a little more instruction as to what all the knobs did. It has a pre feed knob for when you start feeding until it senses an arc then it feeds at what is set the wire feed speed.

I've welded on a few MIG welders and this thing was super smooth laying down the beads and it didn't matter what size material it was and even with the 0.045 wire the 1/8" welded up easily. No fuss no muss.

Now here was part of the trickiness. The rotary amp/voltage knob has like 14 turns and for the 1/2" I was only on #3 and barely at that. This thing was cooking the bead and metal like it was on fire. Again super smooth very little spatter. I did short circuit, Globular transfer and spray all with just a small adjustment. No cranking anything up.

He came back asked what I thought...

I said wow, what a smooth machine. he

Next out of my mouth was:

How durable? Very he said. They have had the same machines on the floor for years now. 2001 to present.

Binzel guns? Yep with Euro connectors.

I had spoken with him a few days earlier and asked if he had any extra guns since I didn't have one and would need one for the machine. He said not really any extra ones but he would look around.

Then I asked what about servicing. What If I should need any parts. He was a little taken back then said why would you need parts? I said if something should happen and he said He did have a few extra parts and that he knows someone who could fix it if the need should come.

I said, I'll take one.

This is where I'll part the story since I'm beat again. and have to spend time with loved one's.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Boiler God

Jen,

Is this going to be like the "cliffhanger" serials from the 30s and 40s. Where every week the hero is thrown into a life or death position and we are to wait until the next episode, to see how he got out of the predicament?? I love the serials, I'm constantly watching the Flash Gordon / Buck Rogers serials from the late 30s, in the shop. But I already know how they are going to end, this is like a real life serial and I don't know this is going to end.

jack
Old 11-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Gadget Girl

Sorry if this seems like I'm just trying to drag it out. I love the early series. Flash gordon, Superman, etc. One of my favorite memories was watching Hogan's heros with my Father.

I'm a detail person and with something like this there is just to much information/detail to post all at once.

Not to let the cat out of the bag but there are some pretty intense moments involved or at least they were for me.

So, until tomorrow. Sleep well all.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Gadget Girl

Okay now where were we.

So, now I am sold. and have done the deed. I've committed to buying one of these.

He said okay, follow me.

Some specs.
The power unit is an

Esseti Macro 501C Mfd 2001
Power supply +10%/-15% 230/400/460V 3ph Fuse T50 230v, T28 400V

Secondary current 60% stick/mig 500amps, secondary current 100% 380amps

60% duty at 500amps
Permnent current 380amps
No load voltage 72V
Max secondary current 800amps
short circuit limit 1000 amps
stick electorde possiblity 6.0mm
Insulation H
Tig lift yes
Water cooling option Yes.

We go to the area above the shop floor and low and behold there are maybe half dozen welders. All Esseti's and 1 miller. Looking at all the stuff I noticed one machine sticking up above all others and ask.

What is that one? He said, Oh, you don't want that one and should you ever come across one. Don't buy it. It needs a computer to setup and will take a college course to setup and run. He said setup correctly you can run just about anything you can come across, Steel, stainless, bronze, Alum. He then followed that up with not setup correctly and the machine is useless. On wrong setting and it basically becomes and electric boat anchor.

Of course this just perked my interest and so I said any extra ones? He said yes, but again he wouldn't sell them because of the problems he had with selling them way back and most people couldn't figure them out. He then explained he went to Italy to actually take some time with the inventor to learn the machine. He said the programs are programed in from a computer and basically make the user interface useless because it eliminates any chances of the operator from making any changes on the line.

I still want one of course.

I had the choice between 2 wire feeders. A closed unit and a semi closed unit. I took a closed unit since I figured moisture and debris would be less likely to get into the closed case.

Pic 1 Case
Pic 2 4 roller wire feeder
Pic 3 used to feed the wire when case is open. The mig switch is inactive while the case is open so you can't use the torch trigger to operate the wire feeder.
Pic 4 the case switch for the wire feeder
Pic 5 the cable layout of the power lugs. You can see the cable is pretty stout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2081.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	83603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2082.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	83604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2085.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	83605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2084.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	83606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2086.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	83607  

My google+ page

DoALL 36"

Last edited by allessence; 11-06-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Gadget Girl

so, now I have picked out the machine and have them both lowered to the truck.

At the same time I then say what about mig gun. He walks over and shows me 2 guns on the floor. 1 Water cooled and 1 air cooled.

Said I could take both since he doesn't use these anymore.

Then he said how long of a connector cable would I want. I said how long you got and then I noticed a pallet with severial on it.

I said I'll take a 15footer if you have one. and yup. was second one down.

So, now I have 2 guns, I long power connector, the power unit and the feeder unit.

What else do I need? I noticed the gas hose was missing the inert gas B fitting and mentioned it and he found me another one.

Pic

1 power unit
2 power cable to feeder
3 " "
4 Water cooled Binzel gun with Euro connector
5 Tweco style air cooled gun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2040.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	83608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2031.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	83609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2034.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	83610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2035.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	83611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2038.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	83612  

My google+ page

DoALL 36"