Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 05-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivTec View Post

Also, it would be pointless if no one is interested in discovering that I say what I mean and mean what I say... except when playing with those members on this thread that seem to thrive on the rush of confrontation.

It appears insults, unsubstantiated accusations, and general confrontation is what these members want.

You can tell when their "feeling the rush" by how they reply.

In my opinion this site has been infested... time to break-out the bug killer.
I am attending the get together next week. Who says I am not interested in discovering if your machine is as good as you say it is? I have operated the majority of the big players machines.

If your unit was as good as you say it is, this could be an opportunity for you. I am typically a miller lover on welders, and Hypertherm on plasma. But I do keep an open mind, and I will be in the market in the next 3 months.

As far as trustworthiness, I think it is somewhat insulting that you would not trust the owner of this site who has been operating it for quite some time. I'm sure contact information could be exchanged to ensure proper return of your unit (if it didn't sell onsite).
Old 05-11-2016, 12:43 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
He won't make one available Ron. He knows it won't stack up to our current equipment.
As I said, he won't make one available.

Sent from my ipotato
Old 05-12-2016, 02:29 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
My responses are in red below! Jim Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
My responses are in red below! Jim Colt

Jim... thanks again for sharing the technical and practical information about your Hypertherm machines.

Those 5/8" steel cuts at 60amps we're fast and clean. Very impressive!
I think you stated that machine has a voltage at the torch of 136 volts under cut load... compared to my 60amp which has 115 volts at cut load your machine I roughly calculated yours is producing about 1200 watts more cutting power than mine. And like you said torch design is important as well. It looks like your machine has a very large plasma chamber. Sure was impressive performance! For industrial use it is apparent a machine of that power is what is needed for thick, fast, clean cuts.

I think the multi-function of Plasma/AC-DC TIG/Stick and enough power to get through 3/4 inch coupled with the low cost makes more sense to a DIY, small business customer. However, I do agree that for industrial use your machine is the obvious choice for plasma cutting.

I was also very impressed with it's ability to cut expanded metals by switching between high current cut and low current pilot arc modes when the torch is over a hole of other void.

Does the pilot arc mode produce any electromagnetic interference?

With regard to your comment about mult-process functions (Plasma/TIG/Stick) in the same machine not being able to be optimized. I'm really not sure what you meant.
The multi-function design used in our machines do not affect reliability or performance in any negative way... as it is effectively that same machine weather in Plasma or Weld modes since either mode uses the exact same components. The specific design really is a technical WOW!

FYI: For those interested in AC TIG (Aluminum) welding. I have installed technical embellishments to allow extremely precise thin welds. As a best case test I was able to weld the end of a soda can which is 0.0035 inch thick. That was quite an experience as it felt like I was pouring aluminum (resin) out of a bottle. I plan to post some video of welding thin Aluminum... and thick as well. Also will post video of stick welding thin steel. Since the current regulation is so accurate it is easy to use any size rod to weld thin sheet without sticking or burning through. I seems to always doing 45 things at once but, I will try to make posting those videos a priority. I should have made them long ago. I've emailed God, asking for 28 hour days... still waiting for reply.

With regard to the extremely low cost of our machines... I suspect that China does not make a "real" profit and are more interested in snagging market share for the sake of domination. That behavior can be considered unfair... but, it does have a positive side-effect in that my customers get to keep allot more money in their pockets and still afford a machine that does much more that anything available from the USA. It's a great benefit for small businesses like mine... as it allows me to compete with the larger companies.

Jim, thanks again for a great post.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:09 PM

A large plasma chamber? Maybe you can explain? And trust me....your machine is rated (duty cycle) at 115 load volts, but you will not be cutting 3/4" steel at 115 volts....most likely with an unshielded torch your load voltage will be at least 130 to 135 volts. Your power supply will produce that voltage for a short period of time....until duty cycle is exceeded or failure occurs.

The pilot mode is simply lower power.....but the ability to switch from cutting power to pilot, then back to cutting very quickly without going through the blowback starting process. The level of electrical noise would likely be lower at pilot level. Using our technology a high frequency start torch (like the ones you use) could do the same thing.....without firing the high frequency.

I'd like to see a video of you cutting 3/4" steel....lets see the speed, then show a voltmeter showing the load voltage....the wattage would be similar to that of our 45 amp (Powermax45) plasma cutter.....which cuts 1" very well, but at about 145 load volts. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivTec View Post
Jim... thanks again for sharing the technical and practical information about your Hypertherm machines.

Those 5/8" steel cuts at 60amps we're fast and clean. Very impressive!
I think you stated that machine has a voltage at the torch of 136 volts under cut load... compared to my 60amp which has 115 volts at cut load your machine I roughly calculated yours is producing about 1200 watts more cutting power than mine. And like you said torch design is important as well. It looks like your machine has a very large plasma chamber. Sure was impressive performance! For industrial use it is apparent a machine of that power is what is needed for thick, fast, clean cuts.

I think the multi-function of Plasma/AC-DC TIG/Stick and enough power to get through 3/4 inch coupled with the low cost makes more sense to a DIY, small business customer. However, I do agree that for industrial use your machine is the obvious choice for plasma cutting.

I was also very impressed with it's ability to cut expanded metals by switching between high current cut and low current pilot arc modes when the torch is over a hole of other void.

Does the pilot arc mode produce any electromagnetic interference?

With regard to your comment about mult-process functions (Plasma/TIG/Stick) in the same machine not being able to be optimized. I'm really not sure what you meant.
The multi-function design used in our machines do not affect reliability or performance in any negative way... as it is effectively that same machine weather in Plasma or Weld modes since either mode uses the exact same components. The specific design really is a technical WOW!

FYI: For those interested in AC TIG (Aluminum) welding. I have installed technical embellishments to allow extremely precise thin welds. As a best case test I was able to weld the end of a soda can which is 0.0035 inch thick. That was quite an experience as it felt like I was pouring aluminum (resin) out of a bottle. I plan to post some video of welding thin Aluminum... and thick as well. Also will post video of stick welding thin steel. Since the current regulation is so accurate it is easy to use any size rod to weld thin sheet without sticking or burning through. I seems to always doing 45 things at once but, I will try to make posting those videos a priority. I should have made them long ago. I've emailed God, asking for 28 hour days... still waiting for reply.

With regard to the extremely low cost of our machines... I suspect that China does not make a "real" profit and are more interested in snagging market share for the sake of domination. That behavior can be considered unfair... but, it does have a positive side-effect in that my customers get to keep allot more money in their pockets and still afford a machine that does much more that anything available from the USA. It's a great benefit for small businesses like mine... as it allows me to compete with the larger companies.

Jim, thanks again for a great post.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Elite Member

So then I'm not going to get to try one of these out next week?

Will there be a Millermatic 211 and a Powermax 45 available?

My heart wants a 350P, but my wallet probably won't let me have more than a 211
Old 05-12-2016, 04:50 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
So then I'm not going to get to try one of these out next week?

Will there be a Millermatic 211 and a Powermax 45 available?

My heart wants a 350P, but my wallet probably won't let me have more than a 211
I can bring my 350P...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 05-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
I can bring my 350P...
Hey, I wanted to try your 350P. Then I can see what I am missing at work. Oh wait, I probably would never talk the boss into one. I started using spray arc last year and he just asked/ told the other guy he is not sure it is worth it and we better do some tests to make sure it is as good as short circuit. :-) what do I do? The boss is always right, right?

Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
The boss is always right, right?
My experience is different...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 05-12-2016, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
My experience is different...
Yeah, that only works when you're self deployed...er, employed..
Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Elite Member

Quote:

I can bring my 350P...
Go ahead, we can store it in my trailer when were not using it....:shifty:

Tags
plasma, plasma cutting, stick welding, tig welding, welding