Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-16-2009, 05:06 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

I do that myself. I machine things to the needs of the customer. Most of the things I do don't even need a tram on the head. If I was working for NASA I would have to produce that kind of work. OTOH If Sam comes in needing a ring on a boat anchor and I do the perfect job, I have cheated him because it is not what he needs.

I know we have members who want everything perfect. Not necessary and a waste of time. Do what you need to do.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Default Wilson`s shop

Old Man,
I agree with yoiu as I find myself guilty of this every day. It has been brought on by working for a company who builds aerospace, medical and defense items. Once you get that state of mind that everthing has to be plus/minus .0002 to 50 microns a simple project for youself or a friend becomes mind bogeling. We sometimes just need to lighten up if its a hitch pin for your neighbors tractor.
Lathe man.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

X-ZAKLY. Some machinist think everything need to be at the peak of their ability. Your hitch pin doesn't need it and if you made to a close tolerance it would cost more and not do the job any better.

I think machine shops would be well advised to accept this principle to make their customers pay less. The customer would be just as happy or more because of the price and would help the comeback business.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Elite Member

Years back a buddy of mine had some friends over to help him do the roof framing on a garage he was building.
I was up between the rafters helping another guy put down some sheathing.
He was fussing and fighting to get the sheet just so and I told him to just nail it down.
I told him “it is good enough.”
He laughed and said as a machinist he was used to working with .003 inch tolerances.
I told him “up here, .125 is fine,”
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

That's why I "specialize" in rent house repair.

I had one experience helping to trim out a $500k house with both an architect and a decorator a few years back. The owner was a wolverine who was in awe of the decorator, the architect was terrified of both of them and we grunts had 3 people giving us contradictory orders.
One of my tasks was to re-install all 180 cabinet door and drawer pulls that the first guy failed to center; the painter had to plug and repaint all the surfaces before I did my thing and just as I was finishing the den (last room) the decorator came swishing by & paused to say, "Oh - you do know, those are all being changed. Or do you?"

I never felt so sorry for a home builder before or since.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 12-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Blast this!

Change orders cost plus ? Back in the 80's I had a friend building log homes. What would have been a nice home at $60,000 turned into a nice home at 100,000 due to changes.He made them sign all change orders before starting.