Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 12-23-2021, 01:34 AM
Yobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
I never saw anyone mention reaming for a simple bolt hole. And actually drilling a pilot ‘close to the required size’ then drilling is actually more of a reaming operation at that point. An actual pilot hole should only be slightly larger than the web of the next size drill that is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Incorrect if you're going for an exact size hole. But you stick to your charts and books, I'll stick to doing it the way that works for me in the real world! But tell me, have you ever actually deviated from your charts and books, or what someone told you?
Old 12-23-2021, 02:07 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
I never saw anyone mention reaming for a simple bolt hole. And actually drilling a pilot ‘close to the required size’ then drilling is actually more of a reaming operation at that point. An actual pilot hole should only be slightly larger than the web of the next size drill that is needed.

As Hoggo stated, it does work well.

Not just for a bolt hole but quite a few times I needed a "clean hole" the same size as the drill bit and did not have a reamer.
basically using a drill bit as a reamer works well most of the time and the hole comes out true to the bit size.
use the same procedure as if you were reaming but use the drill bit when a reamer is unavailable.
the better the quality drill-bits, the better the hole comes out.

side note: the truer the bit runs the better the hole.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:41 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggo View Post
Incorrect if you're going for an exact size hole. But you stick to your charts and books, I'll stick to doing it the way that works for me in the real world! But tell me, have you ever actually deviated from your charts and books, or what someone told you?

If you want ‘exact’ than drilling still isn’t the way to go. Reaming is closer, for really tight fits lets talk jig grinding, honing or wire edm.

Not sure what your ‘real world’ is, but I’ve been making chips for 30 years in one form or another. Red seal tool and die maker by trade, and been working as an on site/portable machinist the last three years.

When you start fixing stuff that has a ‘shop rate’ of $100K an hour we’ll talk.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:48 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
As Hoggo stated, it does work well.

Not just for a bolt hole but quite a few times I needed a "clean hole" the same size as the drill bit and did not have a reamer.
basically using a drill bit as a reamer works well most of the time and the hole comes out true to the bit size.
use the same procedure as if you were reaming but use the drill bit when a reamer is unavailable.
the better the quality drill-bits, the better the hole comes out.

side note: the truer the bit runs the better the hole.

Yep, you’re ‘reaming’ the hole, just with a drill instead of a reamer. We used to call it ‘drill-reaming’ as a matter of fact.

What it will often do though is give a slightly tapered hole, maybe only a couple tenths difference, and for 99.9% of shop and home applications it isn’t even noticable.

The finish depends a lot on the drill, and I’ve used the power feed on mills etc, along with a slight amount of drag on the quill from the quill lock to prevent it grabbing from backlash in the quill feed.

Old 12-23-2021, 06:55 PM
Boiler God

In earlier post, I’ve talked about my Chinese sourced deluxe drill sharpeners, I don’t use it often, but when I do it works great.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...r-26+sharpener
Old 12-23-2021, 11:08 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggo View Post
...But you stick to your charts and books, I'll stick to doing it the way that works for me in the real world!
Who the fuck is this guy? Two posts and he already knows more than everybody else. Believe me when I say that there aren't many guys hangin' around here who rely heavily on charts and books. Yes there's a place for them but most of us have learned our skills by "doing" things in the most practical and efficient way possible. For us the "real world" is how we make our living.

So how about you? Tell us a bit about yourself...time to put up or shut up...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 12-24-2021, 08:42 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Who the fuck is this guy? Two posts and he already knows more than everybody else. Believe me when I say that there aren't many guys hangin' around here who rely heavily on charts and books. Yes there's a place for them but most of us have learned our skills by "doing" things in the most practical and efficient way possible. For us the "real world" is how we make our living.

So how about you? Tell us a bit about yourself...time to put up or shut up...
Wel said Keith.
When you live in the 'universe' there is a lot more room for a swollen head.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

The countries whom the gods would destroy they first make green. Rex Murphy
Old 12-24-2021, 08:53 AM
Elite Member

A second candidate for an "Ignore list" . :-)
...lew...
Old 12-24-2021, 06:48 PM
Yobbo

Well, I've been learning by actually doing since 1966. By doing, not by listening to people like you or looking up charts and books to see what speed I need to turn a given sized piece of metal. I started as a welder and branched out into machining, sheetmetal worker, bricklaying, pipelaying, training police dogs and so on. By the time I retired 20 years ago, I had been in management for 10 years with over 30 people working for me.

I don't claim to know everything, but what I do know is from actual experience.
But you guys are set on your course of patting yourselves on your backs and telling yourselves that no one has right to a different opinion than you.

Anyway, I'll leave you lot to bath in your misplaced self glory, nothing of any interest here for me
Old 12-24-2021, 06:57 PM
Boiler God

I go away for a short period of time and all hell breaks loose!!

WTF is going on??