Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Greenbuggy
Default Need new leads for DMM...thoughts?

Have a few year old Snap on DMM, bought a full set of Pomona leads and clips for it when I bought it.

a few months ago one of the test leads broke inside, cutting it open revealed that it wasn't put together very stoutly (the DMM is one tool I take very good care of and use a lot). I don't have a problem with spending some money but don't want to replace the pair again or get goofy readings from anything I buy. I put the first one back together with a wire nut just to get me by but the other one just broke and I decided it was time to invest in some new ones.

Anybody have any thoughts or experiences on what I should buy? Can get replacement Pomonas for about $25 off a tool truck I'm sure cheaper via ebay or amazon. Heard fluke meters are good but nothing good or bad about their wires.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

I bought a kit with the fluke brand name. I would recommend getting the leads with the silicone insulation. Those have held up the best for me. I use mine most every day. The regular leads will become brittle and take a set when wrapped around a meter and they get a little cold and it gets worse. I have had mine so long I forgot what I paid for them.

Scott
Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
I bought a kit with the fluke brand name. I would recommend getting the leads with the silicone insulation. Those have held up the best for me. I use mine most every day. The regular leads will become brittle and take a set when wrapped around a meter and they get a little cold and it gets worse. I have had mine so long I forgot what I paid for them.

Scott
A good set of leads and ends for a Fluke aren't exactly cheap, but they are excellent quality, and should last for several years.
The soft coating is far superior to the regular stuff,and doesn't crack or get stiff in the cold (I used mine in temps down to about -40F/C at my former job).
Having interchangeable ends (alligator clips, needle probes for piercing wire coatings,and regular probes, is what I have) is also really handy.
I also have the temperature sensing accessory for mine, and have used it for such things as measuring a glycol bath to check temperature controller settings etc., and for such mundane things as seeing what the outdoor temp was.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 PM
JackofSomeTrades

I also recommend the fluke leads. The sets I've used in the past were far superior to the leads that come with cheap meters.

I also heard that Silvertronic makes a very good product. I have not used these myself, so I can comment first hand.

http://www.silvertronic.com/

JT
Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

I have both sets, 1 pomona and 1 Fluke. Fluke set was at least 2x as expensive as the pomona set. I use the pomona set on my everyday Fluke 179 DMM (also the one i lend out) I use the fluke leads on my Fluke 337 clamp on. (this meter never sees anyones hands but mine). the pomona set have lasted me over 3 years so far. and I have had the fluke just a bit less than that. No complaints about either set, other than the $$ of the fluke set. i wouldn't spend the $$ on a fluke set of leads unless you knew, you were going to be the only one using it.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Elite Member

A while back I posted a question about finding a certain electrical probe that makes piercing and back probing wires easier. I lost one from the set I had, and could not find them in the Fluke catalog. Someone here was kind enough to find the part number for me.

These "Needles" as I call them are real handy when working on the newer lift trucks that have numerous bundles of wires thanks to all the unnecessary electronics they are adding. With these probes I can usually get by without cutting the bundles loose. They are very sharp and pierce even the hardest covering. They are stainless steel, and have a coating on most of the needle to prevent accidental contact............try them, you'll like them.

$15.00 at Grainger... Fluke #8845A-EFPT