Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I'm thinking it was the 6" x 12"? Came with the coolant pump for cutting lube etc. But I was able to cut an 8"x8" piece of stock. Go figure.
Thanks for the info' about the band-saw!

I haven't bought one yet... I was looking at the one that TSC sells, and the one from HF... I'll probably buy the one from HF... Seems more members here have one from there!
Quote:
I've had no problems with slop or mis-alignments. I keep it greased and lubed well and have cleaned the gear box and added a better quality lube there, but that's about it.
I was talking about the lower pin that fits in the HF Quick-Hitch... Does the Cat' 1 pin fit tight in the HF QH ??

If I just use a Cat' 1 pin without putting a piece of pipe over the pin, Then I have a lot of movement!... Or what I call ''slop''!
Quote:
Having the SA with this hitch will make life much easier for me and Pop. I still have to do something with getting on and off those tractors, but that's another chapter.
The HF Quick-Hitch is great!.. I can back up to an attachment, and lift it up and take off... Only time I would have to get off the tractor is to hook up a PTO shaft.

I picked the HF QH over the John Deere iMatch QH because:.. The HF QH has an adjustable ''top hook''!, and the JD QH doesn't have an adjustable top hook.

Bill
Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
LW,
I'm thinkin' about one of those QHs for my little Yanmar.
I've looked at those Quick Hitches at HF, Northern Tool has them for $99.99 vs HF's $129, but I digress.
Have you found that some implements don't work or fit, especially at the top link hitch? I saw that comment a coupla times in the customer reviews, and just looking at my scrape blade, I'm skeptical that the QH would fit it. It looks like the top hook on the QH is maybe a bit too hefty to fit into the space (vertically) on my scrape blade where the top link goes. Just curious.
I paid $69 for my HF QH when it was on sale, and I had a 20% off coupon!

That's the first time that I've seen it for $129.99... Keep an eye on it, because it will go on sale soon... Probably for $99.99

Don't read the reviews!.. They expect it to fit everything right out of the box.

You can make it fit any kind of an implement!... You might have to make an adapter for some things... I've made it fit everything that I own, and some implements are John Deere!... On my J D Bush-Hog I had to remove a ''bushing'' so the HF top hook would work.. I put a 3/4'' bolt in and cut a piece of pipe for the bolt to go through!

What ever implement you have and want to make it work with the HF QH and IF you can't get it to work... Start a thread, and we will make it work!!

The adjustable top hook is why I bought the HF QH instead of the JD iMatch!

Bill
Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Sorcerer's Apprentice

I just read that Progressive Farmer mag has a coupon for $59.99.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...tach-sale.html
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I haven't bought one yet...
I just have to say, having this saw has almost negated the need for the gas ax and plasmas. It seems easier to uncover the saw and let it do it's thing while I putter at something else.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Lord of the Minions

I guess, as with all things to make ones life easy, there is a certain amount of work/sweat equity to be put into them.

Now that the QH is mnted and situated to stay as is, I'm getting into the slight changes to the scoop and back blade.

I figured the scoop would be the firm configuration to best adapt to the QH, and later morph the back blade to fit the same.

I'll have pics later tonight as I've shut the doors for the afternoon. Just too darn hot even with that big fan on the North wall doing it's best to remove heat with the 'as hot' air on the outside of the building.

Checking thermometers around the place, there is an average of 103 today. 102° in the shop bay for cutting and welding. I'll wait till the sun goes down and take a nap till dark.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Lord of the Minions

I have lots of nice pics of the work done this weekend. Problem is, I didn't get back to Lake Chuck till almost 4 this morning after closing the doors of the shop and leaving the farm.

My 'umph' ended around 3am.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote,

Checking thermometers around the place, there is an average of 103 today. 102° in the shop bay for cutting and welding. I'll wait till the sun goes down and take a nap till dark

Same temps here for the last few weeks, guess with today being the first day of summer we better get ready for some hot weather. 'umph' is getting hard to find.

Never drink downstream from the herd
Old 07-01-2011, 03:20 AM
Lord of the Minions

As everything I've piddled with over the last several weekends has been for and about the QH etc, I'll just keep everything tidy and in one place and one thread.

Last weekend allowed me to get a big jump on everything from the QH, the rev scoop, back blade and of course the PTO driven posthole digger.

I'll start with the reversible scoop first as it took the most time to get it to a 'simple to use' state.

With the scoop setup for front scooping, the top arm mount was set too close to the front arch arm frame. Which was not allowing the QH's top hook room to latch onto the scoops top pin.

Rather than adding onto the scoops upper rails forward and aft, I found it simpler to just cut into the arch arm and add material to it's rear to make up for what was cut out. Should I have the future need to use this scoop on a larger HP tractor, it will not fail.

Pic 1) The cut out

Pic 2) Ready to add material. You can see just how close the pin is to the frame angle leg. Doing it this way allowed me to leave the lower left and right hitch pins in the same locations and not having to readjust the upper link to make up for any differences between tools.

Pic 3) Added material to make up for the cutout and welded up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shop work 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	78753   Click image for larger version

Name:	shop work 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	78754   Click image for larger version

Name:	shop work 003 (Small).jpg
Views:	169
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	78755  

Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 AM
Lord of the Minions

To be able to reverse this scoop, there will be a considerable amount of altering on the lower pin mount plates as they are hidden by some of the scoops frame work which will not allow the QH to get to them to latch.

Cutting the original plates and moving them to the rear most frame portion will take care of this problem and will also have me adding on that much length to the top rail mount to match that extension of the lowers.
That will happen over this weekend or at least during the week of the 4th.

I hated to cut on these new toys like this, but I do want the need for wheel barrow and shovel to be more of an afterthought for the future than a need or necessity. Getting old ya'know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reversed hookup.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	78758  

Last edited by LW Hiway; 07-01-2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: adding pic
Old 07-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Lord of the Minions

As with all things imported, mostly, sometimes size does make a difference.

The first time I tried to use the QH in an attempt at seeing just what would have to be made, altered, fixed, I noticed that the QH's top hook was about 1/8th of an inch too narrow in it's opening area width.

Well, the Griz stepped up and allowed a quick fix for that problem.

As it was mild steel I opted to just use the vice and with taking shallow cuts, just had fun with the mill while relaxing during the nights work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6 19 11 040 (Small).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	78756   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 19 11 047 (Small).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	78757