Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramd View Post
Rod,I am one of those people that have to see something in operation;I'm not so good at visualizing something from a description.
What I see in your video is some great design/fabrication in action.
You should be very proud of this grinder, and I am more than sure that Old Man would have been also.
Thanks, Dave.
You know, I still sometimes expect to see Old Man's green light on when I check in late late at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Hey Rod, That finial grinder is taking on a life more it's own all the time.

Next thing you'll be saying is you have Final grinder taking Wilson out for walks.
Jenn, I can handle the walks but I'd be very happy if he could just finish Wilson's potty training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash View Post
Very nice, the amount of thought and work you have put into each component of the final grinder is really impressive. I have seen a lot of commercially produced equipment that isn't nearly as well planned out or executed. So much stuff is planned around bottom line cost instead of what would be best nowadays.
Tim, I have a secret advantage: I don't have to please anyone else or follow anyone's schedule or make them any money.
Damned good thing, too. I'd sure hate to think I was trying to make a profit on this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie C View Post
I like it, Rod. Almost wished that I had seen one of those before I built my sander but I don't have any gripes about the one that I did build. I have not changed anything on mine in 20 years so I must have done something right. One thing that I may change is how the sanding belt tightens, I like the tightener that you built. I may steal it.
Knock yourself out, Charlie.
Truthfully, I've pretty much stolen or adapted almost every part of this project so this is a good time to point out again that the basic grinder & both tracking rollers should be credited to Bill Pace, Old Man and digr. They worked out the vertical grinder for all of us.

The tension spring idea came from KMG and so did the inspiration for the attachment with changeable forward rollers. I did not use their configuration but I did draw from the design of the Beaumont grinder & adapted it to my available materials and tools, which I'm trying to learn to use as I go along - the Indiana Jones Adventure method.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-TX View Post
Very nice Rod. It runs smooth as silk.
Jim, I am surprised and very pleased that the forward rollers run so quiet & smooth.
The little 1.5 inch-er is running too hot to suit me and part of that seems to be too tight a fit on the axle/bearings. I can fix that part but the rpm's may just be too high for the bearings to stay cool.
The 2.5" roller runs cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-TX View Post
What color ya gonna paint it?
Flambeau Red. I'm waiting to see if Kevin has any left over.

Just Keep Walking

Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Tuned-Up Big Builder

Neat video! Very nice ease of set up on that grinder attachment. You always will get much use from a good grinder like that. Like It!!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
And finally, I shot a little video just to demonstrate the changeover from using the vertical belt to mounting the attachment with the larger roller.

I tried to go slowly and deliberately but still muffed a couple of moves.

Attachment .wmv about 7mb
WOW!!... The video was nice!... It was great to be able to see some real action from the grinder!... That is very nice!, and I can't quit saying what a great job you did!!... And the changeover was very simple and QUICK!!

That's something that you ''should be proud of'', and I'm sure Old Man would be!... It's priceless!!

Thanks for taking the time to make the video!.. I really enjoyed it!

Bill
Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Nutbuster

Default Flambeau Red LOL

Originally Posted By Cutter Flambeau Red. I'm waiting to see if Kevin has any left over.

LOL My first thought was at least you'll be able to see it out in the shop. If I have any left I'll ship it to Lubbock. I think a flat rate box is in order. LOL

Kevin

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstien

I'm mostly worthless! You'll see.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:27 AM
More STEAM!!

Rod, sitting here and thinking about your grinder and how much noise that the first part of the video was making brought up this idea.

Have the wheels been balanced? They maybe just a tad out of balance, not enough to cause a vibration that you would feel but would cause a lot of noise.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:53 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Charlie, I'm pretty sure the top tracking roller noise is caused by the cheap aluminum-cased flange bearings that Jerry used when he made it. They're already slinging grease.
I was surprised that he used them.
I intend to replace them at some point

Just Keep Walking

Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
The little 1.5 inch-er is running too hot to suit me and part of that seems to be too tight a fit on the axle/bearings. I can fix that part but the rpm's may just be too high for the bearings to stay cool.
The 2.5" roller runs cool.
Are you using rubber sealed bearings or steel shielded ?
I know rubber sealed bearings can generate too much heat.

I replaced the bearings in a high speed grinder but decided to go from shielded to rubber sealed, the grinder got so hot you could not hold it in your hand, I ended up removing the rubber seals on one side of the bearings that were not exposed to the outside grit. that cut the heat down 50%

Now is a good time to use your IR temperature meter.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Are you using rubber sealed bearings or steel shielded ?
I know rubber sealed bearings can generate too much heat.
Nope, wasn't that and they're steel shields.
I just screwed up the arbor diameter; got them too big. My calipers said they were .001 over but they went on very tight. I turned them to .394 & they were still too tight so I finally just lopped them down to sloppy fit & went down to Lubbock Gasket & bought some Loctite 620.
That seems to have cured the problem.
I retired one bearing that seems to be ruined from my abuse.

This is the 1.5" roller and it still doesn't run as smooth as the 2.5" & probably never will. It is turning pretty fast at almost 10,000 rpm.

Just Keep Walking

Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 PM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default Cool Video!

Rod, I KNEW that when I saw it working I'd understand it! Now I know what that fancy latch mechanism does and why you wanted this attachment in the first place. Very very cool.

DrBob

Unnnngh oooooh ughhhh I TRIED to keep my mouth shut but just can't! Could you see your way clear to installing a small guard above the on/off switch? With the new attachment in place your hand goes very close to the belt when you switch the grinder on! I can just see the skin abraded off your hand and wrist I just watched the video again (cool!) and it appears that when you reach for the switch, your inner elbow is actually pressed against the abrasive strip and roller. Perhaps this is an illusion of the camera angle, but maybe you could just completely relocate that switch.

R.

Last edited by DrBob; 06-02-2011 at 03:23 PM.