Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:

Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MarkBall2

SON OF A BISKET EATER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was working on making hand wheels for Miner today & was having some difficulty doing a facing operation on 4" aluminum. I adjusted the depth of cut, rpm of the motor, changed all kinds of speeds & feeds, it just wasn't cooperating. I would set the depth of cut at .010, it would stall the motor. I would finish that cut, try another at .010, it would give me angel hair.

Welp, I was trying to make another pass and suddenly it started groaning. Now this was a different groan than heard just before the motor would stall. Quick as a wink, I shut it down, released the cut, backed the apron away & started looking.

The lead screw & reversing was engaged, I didn't see any problems, so I started it up. It spun 2-3 turns & I noticed the lead screw wasn't moving steadily. Kind of skipped a lick or two. I stopped it again, released the gear quadrant from the reversing gears & turned this by hand. I could go almost 3 turns before it would hang.

At that point I was also able to turn the lower gear shaft freely without moving the levers. So I took the Quick Change Gear box off for a quick inspection.

Yep, you guessed it. A broken gear & broken compound gear. The compound gear is the one I replaced initially with an E-Bay gear. The other gear is the smallest gear on the shaft, it's missing one tooth & it's made of steel. I have no idea when that one broke, but it's been broke a while. The gear next to it has been buggered on the edges of the teeth, like it got ground on.

And I was using this to repair Miner the Mill. Son of a Beach anyway.

Oh well, I'll get it repaired, might turn my own gears, or just buy them. I'm so frustrated right now, I just swept the floor, cleaned off the chip pan & came inside.

I haven't always been a nurse..........

Oxy/Acetylene set
Hand/Power tools

Harbor Freight Tubing Roller
Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
New to me Enco GL-30B Mill/Drill Thank you 1800Miner
Papa Lion's Gate Build

I don't do nuttin half azzed. I phawk it up completely, given half a chance.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Mark, there has to be something about that lathe not aligned correctly.
Or it's been cursed.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Elite Member

Well you may be right. Or I have a bent shaft on the gear cluster. As tight as those gears fit & mesh, along with the original broken gears & broken quadrant, I wouldn't be surprised.

One of the things to order for the mill is a machinist level. I may order it sooner than later, then make sure there's no twist in it. It's not totally level, but the bed is "square" with the centerline, so I'm not worried about being level.

The reason for the machinist level is to make sure there's no twist.

I kind of doubt a bed twist would cause this though. The compound gear was that Zymak crap & broke 3 teeth off. The steel gear puzzles me & I suspect that tooth was fractured from the previous owner's crash.

I'll do some more researching on this before putting it back in use. Might need to make a shaft, maybe make some gears, maybe just run it the way it is without power feed.

Oxy/Acetylene set
Hand/Power tools

Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
Papa Lion's Gate Build

Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Elite Member

Finally had time to work on the quick change gear box. Last month I locked up the gear box trying to thread a shaft & took it off. Many of the gears were twisted slightly & had gouges out of em.

I looked on the Sears replacement parts listing & it would have cost me almost $300 to replace the bad ones.

Got to thinking, I have a Dremel, I can't harm the gears any worse than they already are, so I ground the rough spots off, trying to preserve the angle of the gear itself.

Reassembled the box & by hand was turning it. Everything turned great without the leadscrew drive gear installed. Installed the leadscrew drive gear and I got a quarter turn only. Locked up again.

I looked at the gear a bit closer & the teeth were overhanging 2 of the gear box gears. That shouldn't be that way, I said to myself, so I took the drive gear back off, turned it around and lo 'n behold no more lock up. Seems the drive gear has teeth & a small 3/16" wide part with no teeth. The small no teeth part overhangs the 2nd gear & the drive gear meshes with the last gear in the gear train.

I re-installed the gear box, put it in back gear, crossed my fingers/toes/the neighbor's dogs toes & tail and threw the switch. It works. The levers don't try to dance around anymore, all the gears work & drive the leadscrew at different speeds. I was even able to take it out of back gear drive & go direct, it works there too.

I'm thinking the previous owner had tried to fix the gearbox & reversed the main leadscrew drive gear. I had never removed it before, but after all the other troubles I've had with gears, that's the only conclusion I can come up with.

Thank goodness this is fixed. It made up for the bad day I had yesterday. That and the new grandbaby. Now to fix some more things & be able to make parts once again.

Oxy/Acetylene set
Hand/Power tools

Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
Papa Lion's Gate Build

Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Oh good.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 AM
SFT Navigator

Must be the result of all that clean livin'.

So far,,,I'm succeeding.

"I don't care if you like me or not. I'm not even on Facebook."
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 AM

Default good read

Wow, that was a long read. Took me a few days but definitely helps me look for certain things while I'm refurbishing mine to hopefully work as good as new. Thanks for all your documentation Mark.