Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-26-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Quality Air Compressor

This is My first Visit, to this forum , I must say I kave enjoyed reading for a couple of hours. Thanks to the admin , and the supporters who read and post here.
Now why I posted here. I read a post by, banzaitoyota about
Eaton Compressors. Let me say I do not work for them , but I DO own a 5HP, Three cylinder 2-stage Compressor.with a 80 Gal. tank. Empty to 135 PSI.
4 and 1/2 min's. Kick on at 100 PSI to 135 PSI. 45 sec's. Runs my Blast Cabinet easily.
Quite, you can hardly here it running in my shop, through the wall. The Quality is excellent. One comment , I read , was that it was imported from China. another was that the tank would explode.
NO. Dont make assumptions, if you dont know better.
When have you spoken to the president of Quincy, or IR ? You can speak to the president of Eaton. I have , before the sale and after.
Well thats my 2 cents. Thanks for reading it.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:19 PM

You're welcome.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:33 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

And welcome to the playground, Bdaz.
Bear in mind that this is a free for all forum. A lotta people have strong opinions & are free to post them, just as you have done so it is real easy to find something you may not agree with. But it is also real easy to have your say about it, too.
Thanks for joining in.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 06-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Banned

NOTICE
THIS IS NOT A KICK IN ANYBODY'S ***,
You can call me and be speaking to the President of 4 corporations at the same time. I'm also on the board of directors of 5 corporations and a non profit.
Hell, just PM me your phone number, and the President of 4 NY corporations just might call you, it'd be a tax deduction for me.

Frankly, I'm glad youlike your Eaton, but I've read his propoganda, and I wouldn't take one of his compressors if he delivered it free, set it up, and paid the electric bill for a year. Eaton's propoganda is just too clever at using phrasology that appears to say one thing and actually saying another.

From what I see on his web site, EATON is a bolt together assembler of pieces & parts from several manufacturers, probably located in Mexico and China. 30 years ago, these same type of operations existed assembling sump pumps from GE motors, Mexican castings, and Korean shaft couplers. The one I watched lasted about 5 years, using 1920s machinery, Puerto Rican labor, and a forman who yelled enough spanish to get the job done. When OSHA came on scene, the company closed up real quick, and all those warrantys weren't worth the postage to send them in.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:19 PM

Default I too am interested in an Eaton

Made in America is no longer any guarantee of any quality, just a high price compared to the rest of the world which is why American Companys have been having things done overseas for years. The one that I am interested isn't real cheap either.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/172459.htm. I just got back from the local TSC and looked at the big IR TS7N7.5 and it has a 3520 rpm 7.5 hp motor. Nobody knew the speed the compressor turned at. I looked at the DeVair and the Champion also. Not everything on them is American or even Canadian made either.

I just want to know Specific thoughts on this specific compressor. Not a diatribe against anything not American.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahsatcs
Made in America is no longer any guarantee of any quality, just a high price compared to the rest of the world which is why American Companys have been having things done overseas for years. The one that I am interested isn't real cheap either.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/172459.htm. I just got back from the local TSC and looked at the big IR TS7N7.5 and it has a 3520 rpm 7.5 hp motor. Nobody knew the speed the compressor turned at. I looked at the DeVair and the Champion also. Not everything on them is American or even Canadian made either.

I just want to know Specific thoughts on this specific compressor. Not a diatribe against anything not American.
Welcome to SFT, the NO Bulls#!T ZONE, and thank you for asking about a specific Eaton Compressor.
Your observations on "American Made" such as ITW's use of the term,are very relevent. I've also driven "American cars" such as Dodge, Ford & Chevy, so I fully understand the concept of CRAP made in America.

Unfortunately, the people who write all the pages of crap for Eaton, and lots of others, refuse to actually provide real numbers to judge their performence on.
Even though they are quite talented at the game of Hide the Salami, they do accidently include a few pieces of data in their propoganda.
Lets start with this one-
" Also, on a 2-stage compressor, a premium 208/220 volt, 32 running amps motor is 1750 RPM"
Near as I can decode that, they are saying the machine has a 220 volt motor that draws 32 amps running the compressor. Mr calculator says that is 9.44 horsepower, NOT the 7.5 HP advertised. Now, just in case some PHD candidate wants to run his calculator and jump up pointing out the motor would be 7.46hp at 208 volts, ponder before you do. Normal household voltage is 230-240, and 208 is a voltage normally found on industrial 3 phase systems.
I'm just not disposed to retype the rest of what I've previously said about Eaton compressors, but you can find it on SFT by using the search function, or wait till Cutter puts the link up.
I will repeat that compressed air is the MOST expensive form of energy, and that cheap compressors are wortth exactly what you pay for them. I've never had problems with men who work for less, I just figure they know what they are worth.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 PM

Default What do you think of this one locally available

COMPLETELY REBUILT AIR COMPRESSOR.THE TANK IS 80GAL BUILT IN 1997. 5 HP LEESON MOTOR IS BRAND NEW.CHAMPION 2 STAGE COMPRESSOR PUMP IS REBUILT.ALL SWITCHES, WIRING ,TUBING,UNLOADERS NEW.VERY NICE COMPRESSOR.

Motgor runs 1740 rpm 16.9 cfm @100 psi and 16 cfm @ 175 psi The pump is a cast iron champion r15b.It can be bought new at Grainger for $1022.00 It takes 7.35 minutes to fill tank to 175 psi It is not a loud compressor in my opinion.

This one caught my attention because of things you had mentioned specifically the Champion pump and the motor rpm.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:07 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Well ia, since Franz is probably taking his nap, I'll say that my first question is "rebuilt by whom?" And then I am wondering, how much is it? And then I am unclear on the exact meaning of "It can be bought new at Grainger for $1022.00"; does that mean the pump only (my guess) or is that price of the whole shebang? And is that Leeson a single phase motor?

Finally, I would stay away from Tractor Supply & their IR compressors so long as you can find older & better ones.

No, one more thing - would you be so kind as to open your Used CP (see the blue bar, left hand side, up towards the top of this page), click on "edit profile" and fill in your location line? Be sure to click "save changes" at the bottom of the page. Your location is often relevant to what you say in your posts. For instance, someone living in your area might know of a compressor deal they could put you onto; It happens around here fairly often. We encourage everyone to post it, so would any of you new members reading this kindly do the same?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 06-28-2005, 03:14 PM

It is for the compressor only, you are correct, and I am in Houston
Old 06-28-2005, 03:14 PM

It is $750.00