Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-06-2005, 03:46 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Default Po' Boy's Welding Table, at last

I have wanted a tough old banger welding & work table for a long time now so I have been hauling home bits & pieces for a good while. Most of my materials were scrap bought for 10 cents a pound or scrounged except for the wheels and the 3 x 3 angle iron frame immediately under the top. The legs came from a junked-out engine hoist that I found at the scrap yard - 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 square tube. The top is a piece of 1/2 inch plate 30 1/2 inches x 61 1/2 inches. David Baker gave it to me when I bought the old Camplbell Hausfeld compressor from him last fall. One long side has been torched so it is rough and the surface was badly pitted on one side and pretty beat up on the other but it is still relatively flat and it is app. 275 lbs of table top for FREE. I figure the whole thing weighs somewhere around 350 lbs & I have about $75 max invested in it, but quite a bit of time invested in cleaning rust of the critical areas & in cutting the parts to suit me.

The top has been lying on an oak dolly for months, very much in my way so I used it as my layout & welding bench. Here I have the legs tacked to the top frame and lying upside down on the top-to-be.

Once I had the legs & angle iron welded together, I flipped it over and tried it out for plumb for the first time. Shop assistant Jake defends the perimeter with ruthless vigilance.

All four legs gripped the gound without any wobble so I decided it was time to figure out how to attach the swivel casters. They are the Harbor Freight cast iron wheels with hard rubber tires, rated at 330 lbs each. I think they cost $6.99 each & they may be a mistake; that mostly depends on how successful I will be in coming up with a way to lock them when I want the table to be stationary. But because of the small size of the shop versus the huge pile of stuff I have in storage to move in here, I have to have most of my benches mobile.
The caster plates are just about the width as the legs, about 2 1/2 x 3 1/4 and I wanted the table's footprint to be as wide as possible for stability so I elected to make some feet to bolt them to. I cleaned up some rough 3/8ths inch plate, cut it to size, drilled and tapped the back two boltholes that would sit under the legs and then cut out the feet on the Percy bandsaw.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame fit to table 2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	154616   Click image for larger version

Name:	table upright1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	154617   Click image for larger version

Name:	rough plate.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	154618  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."

Last edited by GWIZ; 02-05-2020 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Upload pic to SFT
Old 03-06-2005, 04:08 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Default Welding table continued ...

The rough plate pretty much taxed the little 4 x 6 to its limit. I had to apply a tinner's mallet to the back blade guide to tap it back far enough to clear the vise jaw once the rough stock was in place and I limited the down travel to about 50% of normal to reduce the drag on the blade.

So I welded the footplates to the legs then proceeded to install the lower stretcher & shelf, then bolted on the wheels. Here you can see what I meant by "wide footprint"; the axles of the swivels are outside the center of the legs. I didn't want any chance of this sucker tipping on me.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cutfeet.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	154619   Click image for larger version

Name:	feet.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	154620   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel spacing.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	154621  

Just Keep Walking

Last edited by GWIZ; 02-05-2020 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Upload pic to SFT
Old 03-06-2005, 04:34 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Default Welding table continued ...

So finally I had the table base & toolshelf on casters. I flipped the plate & cleaned it off somwhat, especially where the frame attaches to the plate, then flipped the frame back on top of it.

I built the base so that the top would overlap the angle iron frame by about 3 inches on the sides and 4 inches on the ends to allow for clamping later on. And I began tacking the top to the plate with 2 - 3 inch beads around the outside first then repeated the process on the inside of the frame. (Sorry for the crappy pictures here; my camera batteries were going down & I didn't realize it soon enough.)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shelfupside.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	154622   Click image for larger version

Name:	top welded usdown.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	154623  

Just Keep Walking

Last edited by GWIZ; 02-05-2020 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Upload pic to SFT
Old 03-06-2005, 04:52 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Well, this is where I finally had myself painted into a corner; I had 350 lbs of welding table lying upside down on a dolly 7 inches off the floor and no Slagking present to turn it over for me. I had drilled a pair of 3/8ths inch holes on one edge of the top earlier so I could bolt a chain to the top to turn it over with my engine hoist & that was how I planned to turn the entire thing over at this point but upon futher review, I realized this was going to have to be a more elaborate process. And it evolved into a 2 hoist job.

I used the a-frame hoist to lift the table into the air, then wrapped another chain around the downside legs and turned it upright with the HF engine lift. Then I was able to lower both hoists alternately until the wheels were on the floor. Again, I apologize for the crappy picture quality, but here she sits and there will be better pictures later because I have this wonderful old Charles Parker vise to install next, in its own thread.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2hoists.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	154624   Click image for larger version

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	154625  

Just Keep Walking

Last edited by GWIZ; 02-05-2020 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Upload pic to SFT
Old 03-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

Nice welding table cutter,looks like you've got room for another shelf on it.You never have enough shelfs.Are you going to put the flip up burning table on it?How bout a little paint................. nice job.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Elite Member

nice job cutter, the 1/2 " was the right price and those HF wheels look pretty good too, have a good time with it.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Big Shovel

Nice looking table cutter. I was just at an auction and saw a table that same size, with no wheels, and a small vice on it go for $400! those guys were crazy! The also had a new looking made in USA 40 ton press go for $ 450 (don't know if that was good or not?)

Anyways, your project (and the welding cart thread) is giving me tons of help on a rolling cart I want to make. gonna attatch the cutting torches to it and have a 3 x 4 tabletop with a vice, and storage undernieth for grinders and welding supplies. seems like I'm always going back to the tool storage area to get stuff out and then it's strung out all over the shop. the pics and ideas i've seen here are helping immensely. not I just gotta dig up some scrap and get started.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Blankee Master

Heh Cutter, first off, there is absolutely no way, that you got all four legs to sit properly flush with the floor, the floor must be un level lol.

Table looks good, I see you bolted the wheels instead of welding them, is this so that you can remove later?

Handy having the vise on the table, on one corner. Consider installing so that you can remove quickly when you need a clear table. I wish I had done that with mine, as I welded studs for the vise to mount.

Works out well when you keep an eye peeled for good scrap, I would hate to think what that table would have cost if you had ordered the material from the supplier, what with the pricing of steel lately. I have a guy that I pay for his scrap and he does the scrounging for me.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Dodge City Marshal

Loooking Goood!!!

Considerin how windy it can get in Lubbock, I'm glad to see you didn't rely solely on using the vise as the table-top-hold'r-down'r.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 03-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Founder: Machining Forum

Great looking table there Cutter. What type of welding did you use on it. Was it the quick dry JB weld or the old formula that sets in 24 hours?

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm.