Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

No, not really. I can take some, though. I want to redo both of them so it will be a little more pronounced. I'll take a pic then.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 02-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Armchair Webbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDA52 View Post
The clips are specifically made for lifting and MUST be torqued correctly. I have seen these cables pull 80,000# with nothing but clips..installed correctly. It make a difference. Lots of people don't do it right. They are also supposed to be inspected regularly.

FWIW, the 5/8 are supposed to be torqued to 94 ftlbs.

I also have a tattletail on these. Basically, it is a clip at the end where the cables are not tight together. There is space between them. That way, you can quickly inspect for slippage. I only need three clips per cable on 5/8..the fourth is the tattletail.
It's also important to note that the clamps have to go on the right way. One part is supposed to be on the "dead" side of the cable and the other part of the clamp on the "live" side. I keep forgeting which is which but, I have it in my little "Vest Pocket Book of Mechanical Trades" handbook.

Dave
Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to ctardi

The way I remember that, is,
A Cowboy saddles a live horse, not a dead one.

Meaning,
The saddle goes over the live cable, the U bolt goes over the dead side.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Wyoming

The way I was taught was, "Hey kid, which side you wanna put a bite into...the one you're gonna be flying or the bitter end,$%^&*#@?"
Old 02-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Thanks, Moe. The zerks are in the middle of the barrels..roughly. The cable was loaded as much as I could do it with what I have...but I would bet a Bobus suspended from the end will help a bit with that.:evil:

I was suggesting preload with the turnbuckle with no weight on the boom.. not sure how much but there are tables somewhere with the data. That support cable is a very critical component. Remember I got anal when you said you were going to use cable?? It will handle much more weight than that crane will ever see but I'm just not a cable fan. you will have to adjust that puppy continually til it gets where it is is taut with minimal stretch..

Yeah I'm gettin anal agin. Just don't want anything to happen to our padner.. It's the result of a lifetime of military maintenance training. Safety first in peace time. Anything goes in war time. and ya be on your own in love...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 AM
King of Procrastinators

Quote:
The clips are specifically made for lifting and MUST be torqued correctly. I have seen these cables pull 80,000# with nothing but clips..installed correctly. It make a difference. Lots of people don't do it right. They are also supposed to be inspected regularly.

FWIW, the 5/8 are supposed to be torqued to 94 ftlbs.

I also have a tattletail on these. Basically, it is a clip at the end where the cables are not tight together. There is space between them. That way, you can quickly inspect for slippage. I only need three clips per cable on 5/8..the fourth is the tattletail.

Thank you.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Moe, when you are/were an ironworker, cables are a way of life. Preloading a cable should be done with a weight equal to or exceeding the max load to be encountered without exceeding the cap of the cable. New cables will exibit "stretch" to an extent and that muct continually be compensated for until the stretch is gone. On a crane, that isn't really an issue...but in this case, it is. Once that initial stretch and cinch is done, all that would be needed is maintaining the level and watch the tattletail for slippage. The cable should be watched for broken wires, etc. With 2 tons at the end of that 16' span, the cable would see a load of around 6-7000#. The combined pull on the cable and beam push on the column is 15,000#. Everything is within limits of capacity.

I plan on watching this cable for a good while before I truly sign off on it. If I don't like what I see, I plan on going to my cable place and having them build me a swagged lift cable. We have lifted 40,000# panels with those. I won't get one that heavy, but maybe a 10k or so. They mechanically swag the cable and actually preload it and test it at 125% of capacity or more. Then I am given the cable with a test rating and tag stating its compliance. This current one should be fine for what I plan on doing. I built it for a 2 ton rate..but in reality, the TB pallet would be the heaviest thing I can imagine lifting....and that is just 1200# and change. That will give me a combined push pull rate of only 6000#..combined. See? I've done me homework. I be ok. Appreciate the concern, though....dang, now where did I put that group hug smilie???

Yup, never saddle a dead horse. Saddle goes on the live end and should never be closer than one saddle length from the end. With cables, always consult charts for hardware specs, placement, etc. Cable can be the strongest thing in the world if it is done right. If not, it will get you...you may or may not walk away if it does. Not all cable clips are made for lifting....mine are. FWIW, TSC does not sell lifting clips. Mine came from a company that does nothing but sell cable and rigging and builds rigging and slings. They are lift experts and are more anal about such things than I have seen in a good while. I guess that is a good thing.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Voice of Experience

No I'm not worried about the cable breaking. Its more than up to the task. I was thinking about stress on the swivel and attach points as the new cable stretches. And I don't think there is any potential for bodily harm and I hate trying to get a point accross using this dam keyboard..

Enjoy the fruits of all your hard work. How about pictures of it lifting something heavy..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Blast this!

I really wished i had acquired more of the cable when we were refurbishing all those wire rope reels. Seemed like every time someone seen a few hundred feet of 5/8 ,3/4 in the back of the truck they thought they needed it.It is amazing how many feet are on a dozen wraps on a 4' reel .
Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Midmo, thatis how I aquired this batch of cable. I was sitting on the side of the road waiting for for the wrecker to pick up momma's big truck. They were 4 hours late because of a problematic job ahead of me. He broke a cable trying to pull a loaded 18 wheeler out of sand and got himself stuck in the process. So, when he got to me, he had to unspool a ton of cable to get to the spool and put the new stuff on. It has one bad end where the break was, but other than that, there was nothing wrong with it. It was simply too short for him to use...maybe 50'?I got what was left on the spool. I almost didn't do it. Glad I did now.

No worries, Moe. I think I knew what you meant..I think. I'll take some pics when I actually lift something heavy. Plate is the heaviest so far....and it isn't that heavy. Couple of hundred pound...but it did it very well.