Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 07-22-2022, 12:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
He works in the nude with nothing on but an athletic supporter (jockstrap). Can't let his privates get entangled in anything, you know...
I did once paint an entire car wearing nothing more than a respirator. It was a 1959 Triumph.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:57 PM
Elite Member

I watched a man attempt to turn a 1” diameter aluminum bar. The bar stuck out the right side of the spindle about two feet. He did not have sufficient wit to stop the lathe before the spindle sped up to full speed. The end of the bar went through a chain link fence and entered the adjacent work area.

Lucky everyone else was out for lunch, he and I were the only ones there.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 07-22-2022, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Wednesday this week I and a coworker had a close call. Another coworker was disassembling a cylinder in his area. Unbeknownst to him, it was nitrogen charged , so when he was unscrewing the head, when he got to the last thread, the piston, rod and head assembly went shooting across the shop 50’. The welder, and I had just crossed that path within 10 seconds of it shooting across. Actually the other guy said he felt it brush his shirt.

It landed in the drill bits, and the alum rod end had some pretty deep cuts in it from hitting the drill flutes.

Very lucky day for us.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2932.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	165288
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2931.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	165289

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-25-2022, 09:56 AM
Auction Addict

That is a new one to me. Never heard of a gas charged cylinder. What would be the purpose of a gas charged cylinder?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Old 07-25-2022, 10:31 AM
I can dig it

There are lots of gas charged cylinders/springs in use. We used them in various dies and molds instead of mechanical springs. Shock absorbers, struts, hood and trunk ‘springs’, are all various forms of gas cylinders.

That particular cylinder is a mystery to me too though, is it normally charged with nitrogen, and it didn’t get drained? Or was someone using the nitrogen to leak test it?

Old 07-25-2022, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
There are lots of gas charged cylinders/springs in use. We used them in various dies and molds instead of mechanical springs. Shock absorbers, struts, hood and trunk ‘springs’, are all various forms of gas cylinders.

That particular cylinder is a mystery to me too though, is it normally charged with nitrogen, and it didn’t get drained? Or was someone using the nitrogen to leak test it?

Best we can figure is it was nitrogen charged to act like a shock absorbers, and the hydraulic part, had only like a 8” stroke. Overall the cylinder was like 6’. At the base end, there was 2 silver stickers/ covers, that after closer inspection, think was covering the nitrogen fill ports. We never got them off, and we have no way to refill it anyways, and we have no desire to deal with that type of cylinder, so we just returned it back to the customer, saying it is not a serviceable cylinder. Go buy a new one.

And now, at least for the foreseeable future, it is really hammered into our minds to be on the lookout for “these type of cylinders “ again.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-25-2022, 02:02 PM
I can dig it

Interesting. Filling them is similar to a hydraulic accumulator, using it’s basically a schrader valve like on a bicycle tire….except a much higher pressure.

We used a lot of stuff from Dadco, but there are other places too.

Here’s their info on charging equipment.

https://www.dadco.net/wp-content/upl...rdwarerevc.pdf

Old 08-01-2022, 07:31 AM
Elite Member

I thought this a good thread the tell about another close call I had with a lathe. This one is not intuitive and not related to a rotating spindle. It could happen to anyone not aware of the circumstance.

While swapping chucks on a lathe I lost my footing. The heavy chuck I was supporting landed on the ways. Lucky for the lathe my right hand was in between acting as a cushion.

While I thought at the time I had a solid footing I didn’t realize/remember the oil under the rubber mat I was standing on.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:45 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I did once paint an entire car wearing nothing more than a respirator. It was a 1959 Triumph.
In case some of you fellows are wondering but are afraid to ask:

The voyeurism didn’t come into play until I was down to my briefs. At the time that car needed to be painted I was very dirty and the weather was very hot. The simple solution to minimize contaminating the job was to take my clothes off.