Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-04-2022, 04:13 PM

Default Miniature carport

Pretty straightforward project but I didn't want to really put much money into it so took me awhile to gather cheap materials and come up with a final plan based on what I was able to find.
About a year and a half ago I found a bunch of railroad ties for $100 so I set all of those right away so they could be of some use in the meantime as a psuedo slab of payment. Where I am at, building permits aren't required if no concrete is poured so it makes a pretty good compromise for a floor.
A friend of mine gave me a pallet of steel roofing remnants for free. It made a whole lot of seams and almost twice as much structure as I probably would have used if I had bought new, full length sheets.
I found a guy on Craigslist selling 12' lengths of 2.5" round tubing so I framed it with that. 11 pieces at $8 each for $88 total. I had about half of the steel roofing screws already and spent $12 for another box that I used half of to complete the project.
In each of the 4 corners I ran a t-post about 4' into the ground and the framing is bolted to that- hopefully to prevent the wind from ever moving it. My intuition is that it is enough but I believe it is the only potential flaw that I need to worry about. I may bolt it to the railroad ties in the future if it starts making me nervous. T-posts and bolts were random freebies I accumulated iver the years.
I didn't take photos every step of the way but it is pretty straightforward to understand. One shot of the frame before I cleaned off the rust and painted it (not sure if that was worth the time in a practical sense but I had a bunch of leftover paint from my deceased father so using it for something made me feel like I am memorializing him in a way). The other is once I put the steel sheeting on and anchored it.
So, a little over $200 for this miniature carport that is intended to be for a skid steer (even though I have a lawnmower sitting in there in the photo, lol). 7' wide, 9'5" long, 6' head clearance. I would have made it taller if I wasn't trying to tuck it under a drip edge of an adjacent structure but luckily I am short enough not to bump my head. Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0631.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	164572Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0633.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	164573

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 05-05-2022, 01:27 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o7oBaseMetal View Post
building permits aren't required if no concrete is poured so it makes a pretty good compromise for a floor.
I like it nice job.
would it require permits if you just cement around the 4 corner post in the ground?
Old 05-05-2022, 03:37 AM
Director of Languages

very tidy. The finished product looks a lot better than the description leading up to the pics
Old 05-05-2022, 03:38 AM
Director of Languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
I like it nice job.
would it require permits if you just cement around the 4 corner post in the ground?
if a man dug an 18 inch hole and put 12 inches of concrete and 6 inches of soil back over it I don't think that would require permits
Old 05-05-2022, 07:19 AM

Used to work for a pipefitting contractor and they used the lightweight carports you see as 'rent to own' all over the place. Aluminum frame and the same style sheeting. They make nice kites. On offsite jobs we just used house trailer anchors to keep it from flying. One on each corner screwed into the ground worked and we never lost one... might be worth a try if you're concerned...

Probably the weight of the tubing will keep it in place

john
Old 05-05-2022, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the kind words. That concrete on the posts is a good idea. I think it is something I could get away with whether I am violating the rules or not. I got a note that the property assessor will be going around this summer so once she has been through and everyone is used to seeing an already installed "non-permanent" structure, i may dig around those posts and put in some concrete.

I have enough steel roofing remnants left that I think I can build an additional carport approximately 10' wide by 14' long and as tall as I want as long as I only sheet the roof. I don't think it is quite big enough to fully cover a smaller car but it would really be more for the purpose of keeping the sun from beating down on me when I am outside doing fabrication projects and secondary use for keeping things underneath during the winter. I am a bit more worried about the wind grabbing that one so serious anchorage would be a top priority if I go through with it. I might see how I feel about the miniature one after a month and then make a decision on the larger one.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:16 PM
Blast this!

Best of luck I have a portable office building LLC owned I claimed as on lease property owned by me and wife and the local assessor put on the books as a property addition .I lost the fight .
Old 05-06-2022, 11:42 AM

I had one of those cheapo carport’s survive Hurricane Harvey. Used the 2 ft screw in anchors. 4 on each side. Held up pretty good. Blew two sheets of metal off but everything else stayed
Old 05-06-2022, 12:44 PM

Yeah, I considered building or buying some of the screw in anchors. Looks like basically a single auger thread with about a 4" diameter without actually finding one and measuring it. I waa thinking about possibly just embedding a double layer of railroad ties around the perimeter and fastening them together plus possible t-post anchoring the railroad ties in 3-4 places on each side then lag screw or even through-bolts from railroad ties to the full sized carport but I don't know if I want to pay what people are currently asking for railroad ties in my area; last time I was buying them people were practically giving them away. So, the design will be fluid until it all gets figured out.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:40 PM

Well, I was sick the past few days and not able to get out and watch. but it was pretty windy the last couple days. The mini carport didn't blow away but the back side t-posts clearly lifted up out of the ground about an inch. So, if anyone else tries a similar idea, I would definitely plan on better anchoring than t-posts alone.